1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl head bolt question

i am in the process of installing my new heads and read my manual wrong. I torqued the head bolts to 30 lbs instead of the 22 lbs. Would you i need to remove the heads and install new head gaskets due to over tightening?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl head bolt question

Do an advanced search for torque and see if you can see what others are posting for torque spec's.

I seem to recall reading about much higher torque values from others installing head bolts. Even 30 sounds low, but I may be completely wrong. Where did you get the 22 from--the service manual?

Bondo

Staff member

i am in the process of installing my new heads and read my manual wrong. I torqued the head bolts to 30 lbs instead of the 22 lbs. Would you i need to remove the heads and install new head gaskets due to over tightening?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... what manual,..??

4.3l head bolt torque is more like 50 or 60 ft.lbs...

attached is what it shows in my manual for my year. am i looking at this wrong?

torque.jpg

kelleyja

Seaman

I wouldn't worry about it, the difference between 22 and 30 ftlbs is negligible. You do need to continue to tighten the bolts according to the angles on the spec sheet.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Why couldn't they just give torque values instead of this degree stuff? Were them Swedes drunk or something? Probably all decided to mess with those crazy americans who can't tell a newton meter from a degree.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why couldn't they just give torque values instead of this degree stuff? Were them Swedes drunk or something? Probably all decided to mess with those crazy americans who can't tell a newton meter from a degree.
Swedes have nothing to do with it. That's a GM spec since its a GM engine.

kelleyja

Seaman

The head bolts are torque to yield, they stretch. Torque them down, then stretch them with the angle meter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The head bolts are torque to yield, they stretch. Torque them down, then stretch them with the angle meter.
If they are truly torque to yield, and I believe they are, then the bolts need to be replaced each time even though the manual doesn't specify that.

I would replace with new ones if it were me.

Last edited:

Walt T

Lieutenant

Yeah I know Bruce I just wanted to make fun of Swedes it being a Volvo and all

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If DonS were here, he would be yelling at us by now. :)