rebuilding trim cylinder SX-M

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice
New here and first project,

I am planning to rebuild the trim cylinders on my Volvo Penta SX-M stern drive.
Been reading a few threads on the forum and there was talk about the OMC Seal Kit 985060 for around $30.
One of my cylinders is leaking and water gets in thus the fluid is milky.
I also found this Volvo Penta Trim Cylinder RAM Rebuild Kit DPS M SX M SX DPS 3857471 | eBay link.
I am leaning towards the Ram Rebuild Kit and do both cylinders.
Anyone else done this repair and/or any feedback?

Thanks

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: rebuilding trim cylinder SX-M

Several recent posts about just this, try the search box at the top of the page.

robhay107

Cadet

New here and first project,

I am planning to rebuild the trim cylinders on my Volvo Penta SX-M stern drive.
Been reading a few threads on the forum and there was talk about the OMC Seal Kit 985060 for around $30.
One of my cylinders is leaking and water gets in thus the fluid is milky.
I also found this Volvo Penta Trim Cylinder RAM Rebuild Kit DPS M SX M SX DPS 3857471 | eBay link.
I am leaning towards the Ram Rebuild Kit and do both cylinders.
Anyone else done this repair and/or any feedback?

Thanks

Hi Mate, just about to embark on the same research, my oil reservoir looks like a decent strawberry milkshake! how did you get on, have you made a start??I noticed the service kits are no longer produced but have too seen the kits on ebay from the USA...

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mate, just about to embark on the same research, my oil reservoir looks like a decent strawberry milkshake! how did you get on, have you made a start??I noticed the service kits are no longer produced but have too seen the kits on ebay from the USA...

Hi - I was wondering how the water would get into the system but obviously if a cylinder is leaking fluid it can also suck the water in.
In the meantime I have removed the outdrive plus cylinders. I also removed the pump and reservoir and cleaned it thoroughly with shop towels. I am just wondering how to remove all the milky fluid from the pump completely. I have a Motive Power Bleeder that I could use but should I really worry? Any opinions?
I have decided to order the Ram Rebuild kit (eBay) and going to order this spanner tool:
spanner.jpg
Nice winter project.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

To remove fluid form pump:
Disconnect from reservoir.
Get a spare battery and two long 12ga leads w/ clips
Get a throw-away container about 3" deep and 6" wide to fill w/ ATF.
Dip lower portion of pump in the atf, hold TIGHTLY, and have assistant connect clips to battery and plugs on motor.
Run for 5-10 seconds until it sputters badly. Fluid will shoot out port holes for line connections, so watch your face and eyes!!
Reverse leads. Run for again until it sputters fluid badly.
Repeat, etc....until all pink water fluid is gone, and only red ATF is shot out.
This will make a mess; spray towards the grass or something; not the house or boat!!

Do not do it way too many times, as motor will heat up.
It does NO good to run pump more than 5 to 10 seconds; fluid stops, and you have to reverse leads.
Just make sure extensions of pump are sunk all the way down into the ATF.

Blow lines clear from pump down throught transom hoses (when disconnected from the cylinders) with
compressed air to get all milky fluid out of the four lines.

Thoroughly clean reservoir, or even run it in the dishwasher and lit it dry completely.
I did mine by hand with dishsoap and really hot water.

Have fun!

Last edited:

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

To remove fluid form pump:
Disconnect from reservoir.
Get a spare battery and two long 12ga leads w/ clips
Get a throw-away container about 3" deep and 6" wide to fill w/ ATF.
Dip lower portion of pump in the atf, hold TIGHTLY, and have assistant connect clips to battery and plugs on motor.
Run for 5-10 seconds until it sputters badly.
Reverse leads. Run for again until it sputters fluid badly.
Repeat, etc....until all pink water fluid is gone, and only red ATF is shot out.
This will make a mess; spray towards the grass or something; not the house or boat!!

Do not do it way too many times, as motor will heat up.
It does NO good to run pump more than 5 to 10 seconds; fluid stops, and you have to reverse leads.
Just make sure extensions of pump are sunk all the way down into the ATF.

Blow lines clear from pump down throught transom hoses (when disconnected from the cylinders) with
compressed air to get all milky fluid out of the four lines.

Thoroughly clean reservoir, or even run it in the dishwasher and lit it dry completely.
I did mine by hand with dishsoap and really hot water.

Have fun!

Perfect! Thanks for the quick response!
And I already did blow the lines with compressed air so good to go there.

Much appreciated.

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

I have received the trim cylinder rebuild kit and these are the contents:

rebuild kit low res.jpg

A cheap adjustable (10~30mm) spanner wrench was included.

I have other projects on the go but hope to start within the next few weeks.
Will update this thread.

cheers

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you tell us the source of the kit? Is this an xbay one or from somewhere else?
Thanks, and hope the info for draining the reservoir worked OK.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

That kit is from Ebay. It has the upgraded rod seal and piston sealing rings.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bill!
Looks to me like it's mainly orings, with three specialized parts:
The black lip seals, the pink lip seals (if that's what they are; can't tell for sure),
and what looks like a pink plastic spacer.
I don't suppose the pink parts or the black lip seals have part numbers on them anywhere, do they?

Thanks Much!

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

Can you tell us the source of the kit? Is this an xbay one or from somewhere else?
Thanks, and hope the info for draining the reservoir worked OK.

Yes the Ebay link as posted on the first post.
And yes the reservoir is all cleaned and like new. :thumb:

Thanks Bill!
Looks to me like it's mainly orings, with three specialized parts:
The black lip seals, the pink lip seals (if that's what they are; can't tell for sure),
and what looks like a pink plastic spacer.
I don't suppose the pink parts or the black lip seals have part numbers on them anywhere, do they?

Yes they look like precision made seals. The upgraded rod seal and piston sealing rings.
No part number on them. I suppose when one measures them with a caliper you can source them for way less then the cost of the kit. No idea where to shop for them.
The four thickest seals are all the same size and not even used on the SX, those are there for the OLD original cylinders that had a rare piston back in the mid 90?s.

In the meantime I have completely disassembled the trim cylinders, the day before I sprayed some PB blaster on the caps and they broke loose easily with spanner tool. I had a hard time getting the internal seals out and decided to put the parts in hot water which made the seals pliable for easy removal with a hook tool.
The cylinder housing could use a new coat of paint so maybe a good time to do that before putting it all back together.
I will take a picture of all the cleaned internals and the old versus new seals for comparison.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info Dutch.
I know where to shop for lip seals (SKF), and just got a new one from them for my water pump.
It was built better than the OEM part that came out of the pump, with extra sealing features.

I like looking for creative fixes, and while I think the Ebay route is a good kit, I also think at $150
it's a bit pricey for using all of six or eight parts out of it.

(Example: my SKF lip seal cost me $4 from grainger, and would have been $18 to $22 from a marina--for the same SKF part number.)

I'll be pulling mine apart later this winter, so maybe I'll just mic' them out and see what I can come up with. I already made a spanner....

Would love to see pic's when available.

Last edited:

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

as promised some pictures.

one shot of all components of the trim cylinder (minus seals)

IMG_2788.jpg

the cap (old seals on left - new seals on right)
the old wiper seals were disintegrating - the one in picture is the worse one

cap.jpg

and the piston (old seals on left - new seals on right)

barrel.jpg

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Dutch!
This is an extremely helpful post for those of us who don't want to shell out $400 each for new cylinders!
Thanks for the detailed pic's:)

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ended up buying 2 new cylinders because the bolt that hold the piston on to the shaft, the threads galled and tore themselves apart. That is a problem with dry assembled stainless steel. The piston rods did also have a little bit of pitting caused by electrolysis before I fitted the shaft anodes.

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

I ended up buying 2 new cylinders because the bolt that hold the piston on to the shaft, the threads galled and tore themselves apart. That is a problem with dry assembled stainless steel.

That raises a question - what thread anti seize compound is recommended? I have Permatex Copper on the shelf.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think any lubrication would be OK, a smear of EP grease would be my choice. Mine were assembled dry, with the results below.

Attachments

• Piston bolt.jpg
    Piston bolt.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Piston Rod Threads .jpg
    Piston Rod Threads .jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

I finally got around painting the trim cylinders a few days ago. New seals installed and buttoned up!

14154545784_7dcf1b9881_h.jpg

Last edited:

NoExcuses

Seaman

I'm using the ebay kit as well, but I'm having hard time figuring out how the black wiper seal with the spring is supposed to fit inside the cap. The outer diamter of the seal looks to big to fit. Any advice how to get inside the threaded cap opening?