98 VOLVO SX: u joint noise and whining in outdrive

rocky t

Cadet
after having a ujoint seal replaced and new bellows, did a test run on the boat, now a loud whining , high pitch squell, coming out of outdrive when i put it in gear, the noise goes away in neutral, all so ihad the gimbal bearing and u joint assembly replaced, now the new u joints are knocking bad when i turn the boat, knocking noise wasnt as bad with old u joint's in it, should i be able to hear knocking or chatter noise from the o joint's when running it on the trailer? i can hear the noise when on the trailer, witch get's worse when the boat is under a load in the water, any idea's? mechanic said noise is normal, sounds like the u joints are coming apart, engine alinment has been checked twice, the whine was not there until the outdrive was removed and the u joint seal was replaced, havent been able to use my boat since may, scared of doing futher damage to the out drive, any idea's where to go from here?

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 98 VOLVO SX: u joint noise and whining in outdrive

All I can say without being there, is that the u-joints should not be knocking.
I don't know what you mean by the u-joint seal as they run inside the bellows which are sealed by a worm drive clip at one end and by butting up to the input shaft bearing carrier nose at the other.
I think you need to get another mechanic to look at it all.

rocky t

Cadet

thank's for the help, when you said there should be no knocking from the u joint's, did you mean on the trailer also? as far as the u joint seal, the work order said replaced u joint seal, it was volvo penta part #3852272. he found gear oil in the bellow's when he took it apart, i guess it was do to the bad seal, i'm taking my boat to the third mechanic next week, found one that said that there shouldn't loud noises from u joint area, other two said it was normal, i 've had my boat 6 year's and not a peep out of the outdrive

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The u-joint seal is also called the input shaft seal, and is the reason you have gear lube in the bellows. It is the seal around the drive shaft where it enters the drive unit.

Trailer or not, u-joints should not make any noise at all.

Also, if you are running the engine on the trailer with the drive trimmed all the way up, i'd suggest not doing it. The u-joints are not designed to handle extreme angles like that, and will actually grind on themselves. Now THAT does make some noise. Make sure you trim down even while running on the trailer.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok now I know what he is talking about. When the mechanic replaced the seal did he reset the meshing of the gears? There is a crushable sleeve in there that needs to be renewed and setup correctly on reassembly. If he did not do this or didn't know about it, it is possible that that is what is causing the squeal under load. Also see this VP bulletin P-44-1-5 (http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bobs_notebook/P-44-1-5_1.pdf)