Volvo duo prop questions

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I am new to this site, Thanx for reading and please bear with me. I bought a 74 Formula as a project and it has been repowered in 97??? (the owner wasn't the one to repower it and not any help). It has a Volvo (Ford) fs 5.0 motor and a duoprop drive. My questions are 1- How to id the drive so I can get a manual. 2--Is this a dependable drive? as I have only had mercruisers..3-- I need to remove the engine, I understand the usual stuff associated with this but as far as the rear of the motor what do you separate. On a M/C you have the 2 bolts in the back on the transom assembly but this is a lot diff. Thanx for your time and any and all help would be great Thanx again Don

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo duo prop questions

Look for a metal tag on the drive, port side, maybe hidden behind the trim cylinder for the serial no.

Most agree that the duo's are bulletproof drives. But, when they do break its typically more expensive to repair than the merc.

Once you reply with the outdrive and engine no.s and get the manuals, they will walk you through step by step of the removal and installation of the motor and outdrive.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Post a picture and we can tell you the model number. Being a 97 it can be a AQ series or a DPS-M unit

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, Sorry for the delay...the tag says DP_S and the following #'s are 3868033...wondering about dependability and also this is paired with a 302 Volvo(ford) in a 70's formula 233. Wondering if anyone has a similar boat (ball park) and what kind of speed your getting. I just bought the boat and it needs repowering, Thanx

Last edited:

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, Here is a pic of the drive I am trying to get info on Thanx for any help. Wondering about dependability and approx. year I posted the #'s I found in earlier post and only found dp-s on tag...how to determine ratio?

Attachments

• duo.jpg
    duo.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Volvo's the best drive going.
The unit you have can handle almost anything you want to hook up to it.
When I started working on boats in 85.
I read a report about Volvo, Mercruiser and OMC
They did a test.Hooked up one each Mer.Vol.OMC
The same motor etc.
Started them up and after 50 hrs the OMC broke
After 250 hrs the Mercruiser broke.
The Volvo was shut down. It wouldn't break.
Volvos worst enemy is water in the bellows.
Or backing into the dock.

Daleg70

Seaman

Unless you are in love with the 5.0L =====Now is the time to change to a 5.7L
I did the 5.0 to 5.7 swap years ago to a previous boat (mercruiser) and really liked the extra power.
Since that age is probably carburated it should not be that difficult if you are reasonable mechanically competent.
You should get manuals and research the internet.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Daleg, the OP's '5.0' is Ford, not GM. It won't be a simple drop-in. And, it may in fact be fuel injected (TBI)- mine is. Volvo was doing that a couple years before Merc did.

Last edited:

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice

You are right, its a ford and its quite an ordeal to swap to a 5.7(351)...whats your feeling on this drive. I found a tag and its a DP-C1

Maclin

Admiral

In My Opinion, that (DP-A/B/C) is one of the best drives out there.