Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI high idle, sticking

Divrdan

Recruit
Hello all,
I need a little help here.
My Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi has been sticking in a high idle mode intermittently.
Very much like a car that has just been started cold, I have found that if I disengage the shifter, and pump the throttle with a snap, the engine will idle back down to normal. Like tapping the gas pedal in a car, to throw it out of choke, after it warms up.
This was only happening once in awhile, but has been happening more frequently of late.
Engine can be fully warm, or cold, doesn't seem to have anything to do with temp.
Should I be looking for a sticky throttle cable, or a faulty idle air control?
The engine is a year- 2000 (charcoal painted)

Volvo penta 5.7 GSi PEFS
Serial number

Model number

I need to fix this quickly.
I do not want to bang the drive in and out of gear when it's idling so fast.
There have been a few docking situations where I had to sit in neutral, pause to kick the idle down, with the wind pushing me sideways.
The procedure takes a few seconds, and always seems to happen right when i need power. Scary.

Any help with where to begin to look for a solution, will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Divrdan
Divrdan007@aol.com

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI high idle, sticking

Should I be looking for a sticky throttle cable, or a faulty idle air control?
Hi there, a quick test to see if it is an out of adjustment/stretched shift cable would be to, before moving the throttle handle, go back to the engine and carefully pull back on the throttle body stud where the cable attaches to, to see if the idle comes down. if not then yes, I would suspect the IAC valve next. The throttle body and flame arrestor may need to be cleaned up along with you can try cleaning the IAC passage and IAC before replacement.

Hope you find it, Good luck.:)

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had something similar and found that when I released the throttle cable from the throttle arm, it had a 45deg twist in it, which was the cause of some friction. I released the lock nut on the cable and adjusted the end so it was properly aligned with the arm and have not had any problems since. this only started when the engine was 10 years old and has not reoccurred in the last 5 seasons.

Divrdan

Recruit

I had something similar and found that when I released the throttle cable from the throttle arm, it had a 45deg twist in it, which was the cause of some friction. I released the lock nut on the cable and adjusted the end so it was properly aligned with the arm and have not had any problems since. this only started when the engine was 10 years old and has not reoccurred in the last 5 seasons.

Hello again, and thank you for your replies to help me solve my problem.
Quick follow up to the sticky throttle issue.
Most important... Solved!
I lifted the air cleaner cover to expose the throttle linkage.
I noticed that the cable "rod" that pushes and pulls the throttle arm was feeling a little dirty/sticky.
I cleaned it carefully, and removed any and all of the gummy dirt on it... got it nice and shiny.
After that, I simply put a little clean oil on it, and worked the throttle back and forth a few times to work in the fresh oil.
After several attempts, I could not get the engine to repeat the high revving.
She settled down to a nice, normal 600-700 rpm's after each try.
Thanks again for the prompt reply to my request for help.
This forum is a valuable asset to the boating community.