Volvo Penta SX-A outdrive issues Water in the u-joint bellows

Well I'm new here, my name is Ladawn and would like to do repairs on my boat.
Here's what happened. The end of last year I had the gimbal bearing replaced and everything looked at. This year was not able to use the boat much, but last time out rattle and vibration. I used this site to remove the outdrive and water in the bellows and the u-joint and shaft are rusty. I only put maybe 10 hours since the repair. The u-joints are sealed on mine so I cleaned them back up. They have no play and very smooth, so I think no water got to the needle bearings. The shaft has some pitting, will it be ok to re-use them. I can't find any damage to the bellows, so how did the water get inside. Gear oil is perfect with no water. I called the mechanic and he said it wasn't his problem but he would fix it. The price tag of 2,800 OUCH. I want to find the issues and fix it myself. I know he did not replace the gasket on the pivot or O-rings on the shaft.
So with all that said can someone please help.
Thanks for your help
Ladawn

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta SX-A outdrive issues Water in the u-joint bellows

The mechanic sounds like a piece of work. That IS the mechanics problem if he replaced the bellows and now you have water in them. And he can't even replace gaskets and o-rings? Find yourself a new one.

If you cannot find anything wrong with the bellows, chances are it was not sealed up properly. Here's a link to the service manual for your drive, which explains bellows replacement among pretty much everything else.

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta SX-A and DPS-A SternDrive Service Manual

You have to be careful with a rusted input shaft as the rust can tear up the input shaft seal and then drive oil will leak into the bellows (and water into the drive in your case).

Thank you for the fast info. But 1 question, where else can water get into the u-joints if the bellows is good.

Thanks LaDawn

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Either side of the bellows if it is not installed correctly. Or if you get enough water in your bilge to rise up to the drive shaft and flow into the bellows...but you'd have various other problems with that much of your engine under water.

dutch993

Seaman Apprentice

I also had water in the bellows - some nut (not me - I just bought the boat) decided to poke a hole just next to the clamp.
So a rusty u-joint. After cleaning and checking there is no play and seems nice and smooth as well. A sealed one on a SX-M.
I wonder if the u-jonts are rebuildable?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if the u-jonts are rebuildable?

they definitely are. a Buddy in our marina had worn out and rattling u-Joints on an older 290 leg and called a Company which is specialized in fabricating bearings mostly for industrial applications. they put him new bearings on the u-Joint and it runs like a champ !

i saw the work and must say it appears to be superior to the original vovlo solution. the new type bearings are fully sealed and maintanance free. no Need to pull the drive for greasing them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The u-joints are regular automotive.
The bellows can leak if the hose clamp is too tight, no adhesive is used.
The bellows where it hit the transom shield has a lump on the inside,it fits in a groove.
The clamp only needs to be lightly tightened.
Too much pressure and it bunches the rubber up and will leak.
If the mechanic that "fixed" it won't work on his own screw ups, then he shouldn't be working on it anyway.
The work can be done by a newby but get a FACTORY manual.
Fill out the profile,location. You might be close to someone who can help??
Oh yea, depending on the amount of rust in the bellows the seal for the front yoke might and the yoke might need cleaning/replacing.
Pics always tell a good story.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So did you ever start the engine with the drive all the way up?

Last edited: