How to rebuild the trim cylinder on Volvo Penta SX

erneski

Recruit
Dear all,
I have already tried to search my question but didn't find an answer.
One of my trim cylinders has to be repaired and removed. The cylinder is fixed with two pinstrim.jpg
It's part No 3.
I have already get off one pin. But the other one seems to be rosty and I can't get it off. I already tried it forcibly- nothing helps.
Does anybody have an idea how to fix it?

Roman

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: How to rebuild the trim cylinder on Volvo Penta SX

Hi there, To get the trim ram to budge, you may have to lube up the pin to ram area area with something like PB blaster penetrating oil then rock it around while pulling on it. Yes Pin #3 should come out as well but you may need to lube it up really well. If that don't do it, then you may need to carefully heat up the area.

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta SX-S SternDrive Service Manual

Good luck with it.:)

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After 14 seasons in salt water I had a similar problem with the forward pin, it had corrosion built up in centre section of the drive leg. The aft pin was easy as it gets greased every year when I remove the drive. With a couple of days of soaking in penetrating oil the cylinder came off the pin, I then removed the black plastic sleeve that is a bearing for the pin and was able to squirt penetrating oil into the gap. Eventually with some careful use of a hide mallet the pin came lose.

erneski

Recruit

Thanks a lot. I'll try it and write my experience in here if I am going to succeed :) :)

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you using the "custom" kit sold on xxxxbay or the one for the older OMC/Cobra cylinders, or making one up yourself?

Please let us know parts/part numbers as I will be doing mine this winter as well. I have one leaking lip seal, so it's time to rebuild...and I don't want to spend $400 each on the cylinders either.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Those older OMC cobra kits will not last very long as the rod seal is simply an NBR o-ring. I have used the ones on Ebay and they are an actual poly hydraulic seal made to replaced the original seal.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info Bill. I thought they had an actual lip seal vs the nitrile/buna oring....so yeah, that wouldn't be a very good idea.