how replace volvo 4.3 gl ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

txepetxa

Cadet
Good morning,
My engine (volvo 4.3 gl-d)old ignition coil it is dead, and i want replace it, but i have the problem that old ignition coil it is not in production anymore and it is replaced by another ignition coil filled with oil.
The problem that i have its that old ignition coil has two conectors (with 4 wires, two wires each conector) and new coil only two terminales (+ and -).
anyone knows how to connect new coil? thanks in advance
pictures for old coil connections
View attachment 210243View attachment 210244

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how replace volvo 4.3 gl ignition coil

Your picture link doesn't work.
Please try uploading again, and maybe put full model number of engine up for us.
Thanks!

txepetxa

Cadet

View attachment 210271
encendido 1.jpg

my engine model it is a volvo penta 4.3 gl-d carburated v6 190cv, old ignition coil ref. number: 3862167 (it is not in production anymore, and it is replaced by new coil ref. number:3883158)
i went to a volvo penta store and they gave me a new coil, but the new coil it is not similar like old one.
new coil seems a bottle (it is a electronic ignition coil filled with oil) and it has two terminals (+ and -) for connection, and old coil has two connectors with two wire each conector.(see attached picture)
I am trying to see a picture of new ignition coil ref.3883158 to check if they gave me correct ignition coil, but i dont find anything.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I don’t think they gave you the right coil, seems strange that Volvo would change from the new style square coil to the old style “bottle” oil filled coil. But I don’t know for sure.
If you want to try to use the coil they gave you. The purple and pink wires go to the + terminal and the gray and brown wires go to the – terminal.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have verified everything you posted, and I suspect that Volvo may have an issue on their website.
The coil that you have comes from a 2000 to 2006 gl-d, which has dedicated connectors to go to the module that attaches to the distributor itself. The new one is a generic automotive style two-post.

So I would agree with you that a two-wire coil may not be the correct replacement.

Second, read this entire thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...tion-coil-3883158-cross-reference-615364.html

However, I have found marine parts websites that sell your original coil, with the same part number, and in Europe. (One was in Spain.)
If that parts store is close to you, I would go and ask them how you are expected to adapt this new coil, if even possible, to the one wiring and connection that you currently have.

You may be better off returning it and just ordering the original part from a place that has it in stock.
Ignition - category details

Maybe someone else here has already done this and knows how to convert it, but many people are on the holiday weekend right now, and not too many are online.

On your original coil, are the posts on each side (example: purple and gray) connected to each other with a copper/metal bar, or are they truly four separate posts?

Let us know what you decide to do.

txepetxa

Cadet

Thank you very much everyone!! best info than my volvo penta store here in bilbao ;-).
you told me that you have found websites that sells original coil in spain, it is possible tell me website name? (but the price could be cheaper in a usa web, in europe spares are more expensive)
i have read the post that you send me and i think it is a good option and cheaper(install an auto coil), thanks a lot!

Laral

Recruit
Hi all rev counter not working does the grey wire connect to the coil? Any pics or diagram if so. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi all rev counter not working does the grey wire connect to the coil? Any pics or diagram if so. Thanks

This thread has been dead for close to 5 years. Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.