Volvo AQ 171c Exhaust manifold

Sloany1

Recruit
Is there anyone out there who could source me a new or used exhaust manifold? Somewhere there must be an AQ 171c engine that doesn't need its exhaust manifold any more!

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo AQ 171c Exhaust manifold

They are very rare. The AQ171 is not common in the states and it carries a different manifold bolt pattern than the 8-valve heads.

I've searched for these engines in the past as they are much sought after in the RWD Volvo enthusiast community. I race Volvos and have a completely built 400+hp 16v engine. When I searched for AQ171 engines I found they were too rare and not worth my time to source their parts as I could have custom parts made faster for a similar price.

There used to be a place I know you can get AQ171 manifolds from but I've since searched for it and can't find it. They were $1000+ dollars for a new one. They are no longer available from Volvo.

I don't know how bad yours is but the scarcity of the part makes other options like trying to refurbish the one you have worth exploring.

Also as a last resort you could consider this adapter I came up with. I made an adapter to use a Volvo 8-valve turbo manifold on a 16v cylinder head. It worked very well and a guy I know is now making them from steel. If you were to bolt one of these adapters us racers came up with to your AQ171, you could then use any 8-valve Volvo marine exhaust manifold on it. If you did that you may have to get a different riser and pipe setup but that could work and be done rather cheaply.

The last option and it's not cheap, is that there's a company in Australia making direct replacement AQ171 manifolds from stainless steel. They would increase power and have a 5-year warranty. That's the ONLY new source for one of these manifolds I know of.
Volvo Penta AQ171 AQ251A 855434 Exhaust Manifold 5 YR Warranty Stainless | eBay

They also show up from time to time on Ebay used for $500 or more.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sloany1

Recruit

Thanks for such a detailed reply so quickly. Lots to think about there. Sounds like it's going to cost a lot of money whatever I do!

Wikit

Cadet

Is there anyone out there who could source me a new or used exhaust manifold? Somewhere there must be an AQ 171c engine that doesn't need its exhaust manifold any more!

PM me. I have one
I have 2 AQ 171c engines but only one manifold.

Last edited: