Volvo Penta Raw Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice
My raw water pump on my Volvo Penta 4.3GLPBYC seems to be leaking pretty bad as water is getting slung around the engine compartment from the water leaking on the belt. Before I go and spend around 300 bucks on part 3857794 is there anyway to rebuild the pump so the leaking will stop? I took it apart over the weekend to check the impeller and it is in good shape. While on the lake the temps hover between 175 - 195 while cruising around. I think this is a little warm and think the leaking pump has something to do with it.

Thanks,

Colin

duststang

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta Raw Water Pump

I took mine apart and installed a new impeller used Ultra black and sealed it up. I have used this twice with no issues.

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice

I took mine apart and installed a new impeller used Ultra black and sealed it up. I have used this twice with no issues.

Duststang,

Could you give me some detail about how and where you applied the silicone?

Thanks!

Thalasso

Commander

Are you talking about the raw water (where the impeller is ) or the circulation pump?The circulation pump looks like the water pump on a automobile. If i am not mistaking there is a bearing seal in the raw water pump that can be replaced.

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is the pump that Volvo says is not repairable.
That being said....
I have the same issue. I have read that it can be dis-assembled, and the internal "oil seal" and bearing can be replaced.
I have yet to find a post w/ the actual part numbers for this seal and bearing, as Volvo does not supply them, and they have to be cross-referenced to another bearing/seal supplier.
I highly suspect that only filling it w/ silicone will only mask the bad bearing or "seal". The weap hole is there so you know the seal and bearing have lost their integrity, water is getting by, and coming out of the housing itself.

It is ridiculous that these don't have a readily-available rebuild kit.
I was going to take mine off and do a home-rebuild thread, but mine barely drips, and I might just wait until the season is over, as school starts next week, and I will probably only be out a few more times.

There are threads that can be searched that state people have replaced the seal (I suspect it's an o-ring), but they have not mentioned a part number or where they have obtained them.

This is kind of along the lines as the SX drive trim cylinders....you can't buy a $10 wiper seal to fix a leak, but you can buy a whole new ram for well over $400.....

If you are slinging water all over, then you are also sucking in air, and your temps are probably too high to run without seriously damaging your engine.

If you can get the pump out and completely disassembled, there will be a manufacturer's part number stamped on the side of the bearing. With that, and a picture and measured dimensions of the seal, maybe we can come up w/ some viable parts for a rebuild kit.
If you can get the numbers, I'll try and do the cross-reference legwork for new parts, but you'll probably have to get the bearing pressed off and then a new one pressed on.

But you're talking maybe $30 to $50 instead of $300+.......

Let us know what you find out.

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice

Are you talking about the raw water (where the impeller is ) or the circulation pump?The circulation pump looks like the water pump on a automobile. If i am not mistaking there is a bearing seal in the raw water pump that can be replaced.

Yea I am talking about the raw water pump with the impeller.

@insttech1 - I feel your pain. 300 bucks is too much for that thing for just a failed bearing/seal.

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice

NOTE: This is a PLACEHOLDER post. Don't order until this bearing is confirmed, but here is info from another post:

"For future readers of this post, I have seen people list the bearing as SKF# 6006-2RS1 or 6006-2RSC3

The SST version of this bearing is SKF# SS6006-2RS I don't know if Volvo used a Stainless Bearing or not, but it makes sense to me."

This is from someone who ordered the bearing for their pump....it does not mention the seal.....

Which pump was it for? Was it for part # 3857794?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK that was a "placeholder post".
Someone else said that bearing was for your/our pump.
There were, apparently, wrong.
However, I am getting closer....give me a minute to post a picture.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is an older depco document, but perhaps useful in cross referencing parts.
This is going to take some time....people have been trying to do this half-assed for years.
Let's get it right and get the right parts.

Attachments

• pump rebuild.jpg
    pump rebuild.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice

looks like the seal cross references with Sierra #18-2045

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I missed something:
The Johnson part that uses the same Volvo part number lists TWO bearings with the same part number per unit.
(Per the depco pump link)

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it:
Johnson pumps makes these pumps for Volvo Penta.
Here is all of the pertinent information.
I have the full pdf, and will try and get more info later on.
This is straight from Johnson Pumps data sheets, and the .pdf even has the volvo penta stamping shown on the pulley!

F5B-905 Impeller pump
Art. No. 10-13159-07
Part no.
Description GB
Position
Quantity
01-24469-2
BODY F5B-9 (VPoA)
01-24470-1
ENDCOVER F5B-9 (VPoA)
01-46706
CAM F5B-9
01-24506-3
PULLEY F5B-9
01-46475
SHAFT F5B-9
01-46540
GASKET F5B-9
01-46472
SPACER F5B-9
01-35862
PROTECTIVE RING
SCREW M5X8 DIN933SLOTTED BRASS
O-RING 14.3X2.4 SS1586 NBR70
BALL BEARING D 15 6202-2RS1 (ST)
LIP SEAL 16X28X7 DPSM
RETAIN. RING BORE D35 DIN472 SPRST
08-1027B-01
IMPELLER VP825940

I'll post more later when I get a chance! But this is looking good so far.
I tracked the skf bearings to a website that sells them for as little as $7, but need to verify material content (stainless, etc...) and sidewall of bearing (rubber or steel inserts).

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tail Gunner,
Thanks, but wrong pump.
We have the bracket mounted type.
That rebuild is the main crank mounted type.
Completely different housing/bearings, etc....but that should be stickied to the top by a moderator for future use.

Thanks Though!

Status
Not open for further replies.