1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice
I am a total rookie boat new owner. Bought what I think is a great deal but after 6 hrs of run time experienced a major vibration at higher speed. Throttled down and it actually kept up while in neutral for a few minutes. Didnt happen again that day. Went out again two days later to investigate a bit and everything seems fine until I throttle up. accelerates fine for a few seconds and then feels like it slips into neutral or something. Rpm's still up but going nowhere. Help appreciated. Would like to take my ten year old salmon fishing. He is very disappointed this weekend.

captmello

Captain
Re: 1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

If you're lucky, it might just be the prop is slipping on its hub. Swap props and see if it helps. Or, if the clutch is slipping it could be a few different things. Have you checked the fluid level in the outdrive? If the level is too high it can cause slippage.

Welcome, btw.:)

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

If you're lucky, it might just be the prop is slipping on its hub. Swap props and see if it helps. Or, if the clutch is slipping it could be a few different things. Have you checked the fluid level in the outdrive? If the level is too high it can cause slippage.

Welcome, btw.:)

Thanks for the reply. I will try swapping props. I am currently looking to buy a owners manual for this motor. Know where I should look? I don't know how or where to check the fluid level for the outdrive. Do these motors/transmissions have transmission fluid? Literally have owned this boat for 48 hrs. Seller not interested in answering questions at all.
Jak--

captmello

Captain

What Engine/outdrive do you have? You only said you have a 250. I that the model number? Those are good motors. If you're not sure post some pics of the engine and outdrive and we can help ID it.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

What Engine/outdrive do you have? You only said you have a 250. I that the model number? Those are good motors. If you're not sure post some pics of the engine and outdrive and we can help ID it.

Serial no. 2200110396 another # on tag is 868201 or possible 281. hard to read. I will take some pics.
Thanks for the reply.out drive is a 280.IMG_20130824_221526_141.jpgIMG_20130824_221358_997.jpg

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

Engine database - Engine database : Volvo Penta

Go to this link. In the 'Engine type' box, type 250A. it will bring up info on your motor and you can download an owners manual.

FYI, Those motors are good motors, So are the outdrives. But They both require routine maintenance. Since the seller wasn't much help, you may need to do some work on it.

Good luck! Let us know if you have questions.:)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

My first thought is a spun prop hub.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link Mello. I punched in 250A and it came up. There was no manual available that I saw that was downloadable. There are only workshop manuals and parts list manuals and they both are in printable version only. I realized it was probably a good thing to have anyway so I went to purchase them. When I click on either one to add to cart I get an error message that page is not available.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Scott for the input. Much appreciate all of you attempting to help me out. I will be taking prop off today. What should I be looking for?

captmello

Captain

Sorry about that...instead, type in aq151a. That is the older equivalent to the 250a. are you sure your boat is a 94? If you look at production dates, the 250 was used from about 89-92 and volvo wasn't using the 280 outdrive at that time either. Is there a Hull Id number on the top of the transom stamped on the boat? the last two numbers are the model year.

You can't always see if the hub is damaged or not, thats why you usually just try a different prop.

iboats has props for $120+/-.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

put the drive in gear, go back by the prop and try to turn it. It should not move. if it moves, it is spun. you can also put a line on the hub and on the prop, then take it for a run to see if it moves. However my experience with volvo props is that once they spin you can spin them by hand.

$90 at general propeller to re-hub a volvo prop. they are the only ones I found that can rehub one.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

the boat is a 79 the previous owner said he put the 250 in the boat last year. He told me it was a 94 but i'm sure he was totally relying on what he was told. He was/is even less mechanically inclined than I when it comes to boats. I saw the same thing you did when looking at that site and saw the production years. He told he took the engine and the outdrive from another boat and had it installed in this one. The outdrive has a 270 label on the back housing but he specifically pointed out the 270 label and said that it was actually a 280 but for some reason they had to put the 270 panel on this outdrive. I drained the gear oil and replaced today. took the boat out and it was doing the same thing. The prop is my next move unless I learn something new to try. How do I know which prop to buy?

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

I tried spinning the prop while in gear. I am a pretty big and strong guy and actually turned the motor over a couple times while trying to spin the prop (with the key off of course!) Can I assume the prop is not the problem now? Everything about the shift and running up to about 24-2600 rpm's is abslolutely normal. reverse or forward same thing. As soon as I hit approximately 2500 rpm, it just feels like I slip into neutral or something engine revs, boat slows. Reminds me of missing a shift while dirt bike riding.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to mark the prop and the center hub and run it again and then see if the marks moved.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

I will try marking the prop. I just noticed this morning that the throttle cable is not actually solidly anchored to anything at the block before going to carburetors. Is this normal? I can see that it is kinda 1/2 assed strapped so that it slides behind a strap screwed to a mount but the whole housing of cable and everything pulls down and away from strapping when throttle is actuated. Can't imagine that this would have anything to do with my problem but thought I'd better mention it.

snobdr

Seaman

Make sure that the drive is going all the way into gear. Unhook at drive and move shift lever by hand. If all good you may have drive problem. It uses a cone mechanism to go between foward and reverse. The cone can sometimes glaze if its been slipping and cause the problem. I had a 275, basicly same internals, that did the same thing. I found the oil slinger at the bottom of the drive had sheared and was not pumping oil through the drive causing cone to slip. Had to pull apart drive and repair but was good as gold after.
Make sure you use the correct oil also.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure that the drive is going all the way into gear. Unhook at drive and move shift lever by hand. If all good you may have drive problem. It uses a cone mechanism to go between foward and reverse. The cone can sometimes glaze if its been slipping and cause the problem. I had a 275, basicly same internals, that did the same thing. I found the oil slinger at the bottom of the drive had sheared and was not pumping oil through the drive causing cone to slip. Had to pull apart drive and repair but was good as gold after.
Make sure you use the correct oil also.

thx for the input snobdr. You are talking a little over my head. "at drive"? assuming you are referring to removing the plate at top/back of outdrive and disconnecting shift cable?. "oil slinger"? Have now idea what that is. Beginning to think I need to bite the bullet and take my boat in to shop.
I did remove prop today and attempted to inspect prop hub. Everything looks normal to me. splines on shaft and inside propeller look great. I the hub possibly slipping inside the prop? is that what every one is trying to point out to me as a possible problem?

Pesimist

Seaman

Bruceb58 recommended marking the prop, that is the easiest troubleshooting you can do. Wouldn't suggest looking for other problems until you've ruled out the prop. The prop hub could be slipping, this slippage can not be duplicated by pulling on the prop as you indicate you've done unless the prop hub is really loose as a goose.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Bruceb58 recommended marking the prop, that is the easiest troubleshooting you can do. Wouldn't suggest looking for other problems until you've ruled out the prop. The prop hub could be slipping, this slippage can not be duplicated by pulling on the prop as you indicate you've done unless the prop hub is really loose as a goose.
Put spare prop on last nite. Will take out for spin this afternoon.
Thanks