water pipe burst, to much pressure 4.3GL-D

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was out on my boat last wednesday and one of the large water pipes burst. I replaced it today and when the rpm is increased the pressure on the pipe also increases. Id say If I brought it up to 3k rpm it would just burst again. Boat was going perfect up until wednesday evening. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused the pipe to burst and now causing the high pressure, in this pipe.

The engine is a 2004 volvo penta 4.3GL-D
The pipe is number 17
in the link attached.
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744270-26-8546.aspx

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Colm

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: water pipe burst, to much pressure 4.3GL-D

I wrote the bit below with regard to the 3ltr engine but it still applies to the V6. Somewhere you have a restriction in the cooling water discharge.
Places to check 1. All the internal passages in the thermostat housing. 2 The two hoses that supply the cooling water to the manifolds, remove and make sure the holes into the manifold are clear, remove the drain plugs from the bottoms of the manifolds and check that no debris is blocking the manifolds. 3. as below.

Right, this problem keeps coming up, hoses blowing off 35/40 psi in the block etc.
May I suggest that you remove the riser elbow from the rubber bellows and file down all the corrosion that has accumulated on the centre part and the anulus. Then renew the rubber bellows and secure it so that it does not compress around the centre portion of the riser and restrict the flow. Then get back here and tell us how it is going.

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water pipe burst, to much pressure 4.3GL-D

Was at the boat again today removed the impeller check it all ok. Took off the thermostat housing found a pice of an impeller in it. Took that out and also the thermostat and ran the engine. No build up in pressure. Put the stat back in and the pressure still feels high but know where near as bad. When the engine is at about 3k rpm should I still be able to squeeze t the pipe in a bit or should it be hard.

Cheers in advance
Colm