Another Volvo Fuel Problems Thread

veearesix

Recruit
Hi iboats!

After searching all the fuel related threads - I couldnt find one that les me to my issue.

I have a 72 Skipjack with a late 80s Volvo Penta Carbed V8 with about 250 hours installed in 2004 brand new.

Ive owned the boat for a few months - and by the condition of the gaskets and hardware - the boat has been loved.

I have used it flawlessly about 8 times so far - and trusted the boat to Catalina.

Of course - on this early morning with a boatful of Ice and beer - I didnt get out of the Marina.

The boat started normal - and about 5 minutes after starting and idling out to the sea it starting running really rough - feeling like it was misfiring. As I opened the throttle it stayed alive - but I was in a 5 mph zone. I brought it back down to speed and it died.

Cranked the engine and it started right up again. At forward idle it would start to die but as I added throttle it would stay running (although not cleanly).

I had to start the boat 4-5 times to get back to the dock - but the point was - it made it back and kept starting back up.

The boat was off and I went to back the car down the ramp.

When I went back to the boat to drive it to the trailer - once I started it it seemed to be running okay again.

After I pulled it out and was flushing - it also ran fine.

When it was dying - it definitely "felt" like fuel starvation.

Any ideas where to start?

Thank you!

Will

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another Volvo Fuel Problems Thread

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ow-testing-your-boats-fuel-system-283269.html
that one's how to test fuel system

Check in the "adults" only thread that's locked at the top; it contains most info about many common problems.

These threads are seen all the time; won't start, hesitation, etc.....try searching a little bit more.

Then there's a lot of basics:
last tuneup? timing checked? annual maintenance done?
fuel filters replaced?
water separating fuel filter installed?
carb tuning? last carb full rebuild?
tank venting properly?
I've also read about the paint inside the fuel filter bowl sloughing off and filling the screen with paint chips

So lots of things to look at.......but let us know what's been done first.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Choke stuck closed

veearesix

Recruit

No electric fuel pump - it is a manual pump.

Here is what I have done for far:

Checked float adjustment
Rebuilt Holley carb (for no reason honestly the carbs were super clean)
Brand new fuel filter
Checked all fuel lines for bubbles/leaks
The fuel is clean with a new full tank.

The fuel has a fantastic spray into the carb so I know it is being delivered into the carb strong.

Its amazing - it will sit for 15 minutes idling fine then stall out the first time seemingly unprovoked. Then it will idle for 5-6 minutes and stall out consistently. No throttle input or anything.

Anything you experts can think of to check next?

I did search but I couldn't find much - maybe I didnt search right because I couldn't find this problem.

Thank you!

Volvo aq271c

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you checked the diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump and the delivery pressure?
Try and rig up a length of hose to feed the carb with fuel straight from a can, to eliminate any of the delivery system problems.

Thalasso

Commander

Connect a gas can for outboards to the fuel pump. This way you will know if the problem is before or after the pump. Do you see any fuel lines collapsing?

aogmitch

Cadet

What kind of ignition system you running? I just started to go through something similar and would have placed good money on it being fuel related. Was ready to drop coin on a new carb. Turned out to be the points had closed up in the distributer. Reset and all is great again. Was dong things similar to you descriptions.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your ignition coil.
Presently dealing with similar symptoms.
What exact engine you have ?