Excessive alternator belt wear

ronjon415

Recruit
My 1996 Glastron GS205 with the Volvo-Penta 5 Liter burns through a new alternator belt in about 5-6 hours run time. This has been an ongoing issue with this engine since I have owned it. It has been dealer serviced several times but the problem remains uncorrected. I suspect an alignment problem, possibly with the alternator mount to the engine block. Has anyone else had this problem and what to do to correct it.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Excessive alternator belt wear

I had a similar problem once, but I knew the reason, I had a fridge that drained the batteries and the alternator running at full 65amp out put would chew the belt up. Got a much more efficient fridge and now can get 4 or 5 seasons out of a belt.
You might want to check the tension, alignment, bottoming out of the belt on either pulley and also make sure you have the correct belt, not just any old automotive one, there is a reason why the Volvo one costs a lot.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Excessive alternator belt wear

Rust on either one of the pulleys can cut into a belt. If no rust, check for burrs or metal shavings. Just be careful, if a shaving or burr cuts through a belt that quick, think of what it will do to your unprotected hand!