Volvo Penta 205HP, 230A (1991) Steering problem

soverign33

Recruit
Was recently left at sea with a steering fail. Wheel would not turn more than a couple of inches. On inspection I found that the only loose belt was the one connecting the alternator to the pulley. Does that pulley also enable the power steering pulley to work? Neither the v belts or the alternator pulleys were turning under power. A friend then came on board and forced the steering wheel hard until it moved, and then went very slack, it just spins now (but still no steering) Has that now also broken the steering cable or is it the steering head that he broke?

Many thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 205HP, 230A (1991) Steering problem

Was recently left at sea with a steering fail. Wheel would not turn more than a couple of inches. On inspection I found that the only loose belt was the one connecting the alternator to the pulley. Does that pulley also enable the power steering pulley to work? Neither the v belts or the alternator pulleys were turning under power. A friend then came on board and forced the steering wheel hard until it moved, and then went very slack, it just spins now (but still no steering) Has that now also broken the steering cable or is it the steering head that he broke?

Many thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer goota need a new cable, 'n a new helm, or a new cable, or a new helm,...

Ya won't know, til ya pull it apart, 'n See what broke,....

If the belts, 'n alternator ain't turnin', that's another problem, All by itself,...

If without P/S the boat should steer just fine, although with considerable effort,...

What motor,..??

What drive,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Many thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer goota need a new cable, 'n a new helm, or a new cable, or a new helm,...

Ya won't know, til ya pull it apart, 'n See what broke,....

If the belts, 'n alternator ain't turnin', that's another problem, All by itself,...

If without P/S the boat should steer just fine, although with considerable effort,...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile? Location?
Bring it on by and I'll take a look:)
Gotta figure out if it's an actual Volvo steering system or something the boat manufacturer put in?
Could be a broken cable or a broken steering arm?