07 Volvo penta 3.0 circulating water pump problem

mlritt19

Recruit
Ok for the last two trips out my boat has taken on a lot of water. There is a line that is capped on the raw sea water pump and the cap keeps blowing off. The original one blew to pieces and I found a replacement cap that seemed to fit at a hardware store and re capped it. I took it out and after a few minutes and did the same thing. Do I need to order the oem one offline or is there another problem that's causing excessive pressure to blow the caps to pieces? Ill also add this just started happening after the water pump took a crap out in the water and the boat overheated and warped the head. We just got the boat back a few months ago from the mechanic after thousands of dollars in repairs. I'm not sure if this problem is related. I also want to know why there's a second line there that's not used? What is it even there for? Anything that can help is appreciated to help avoid going back to the mechanic for costly repairs again.
volvo.jpg

Last edited:

mlritt19

Recruit
Re: 07 Volvo penta 3.0 circulating water pump problem

The second line on top that is capped is what im talking about.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 07 Volvo penta 3.0 circulating water pump problem

Right, this problem keeps coming up, hoses blowing off 35/40 psi in the block etc.
May I suggest that you remove the riser elbow from the rubber bellows and file down all the corrosion that has accumulated on the centre part and the anulus. Then renew the rubber bellows and secure it so that it does not compress around the centre portion of the riser and restrict the flow. Then get back here and tell us how it is going.