1996 volvo 5.0 started surging. Need help please!

sledhill

Cadet
Good day to everyone. I just have a few questions for you guys.
I sure hope you guys can help me out! Thanks on advance

I just purchased a 1996 wellcraft 215sx with a 5.0 Volvo engine 2 days ago.
Test ride went excellent. Had it on water for 30 mins. The only issue I had was his mechanic
Changed the distributor and now it's got a ticking noise at about 4000 rpm Under load. To me it sounds like it's
Over advanced timming causing the weights in distributor to rattle. Anyways we still purchased the boat.

Now, yesterday we took the new boat out on the river, we were cruising down the river at about 35mph when the boat kind of surged
And farted and caughed. I instantly throttled back. And all seemed good. Eased back into the throttle, and never had a problem for the rest of the day, until the ride home. It's started surging again. The rpm gauge was going crazy. It's go past 7 grand and bounce around( motor wasn't actually at 7 grand) then it would back down to 3 grand where it ran great. But it would constantly run like that until I ran out of gas( bonehead)
I found out the last quarter tank isn't very big!

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I was thinking electrical as the rpm gauge was going workers!

Thanks again for all the help!

I apologise for the grammar, my phone keeps auto correcting words on me!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1996 volvo 5.0 started surging. Need help please!

We'll need a little more information on the engine. There's a lot of models of 5.0's, and the boat year has no relevance to the engine year. Full model number or serial number would be best.

sledhill

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I will get the numbers after I'm off work tonight.

sledhill

Cadet

I can't figure out how to upload photos from my phone. On the valve cover I can't really read the numbers on the tag
5.0 L FL
411013 can't read the rest)
3868414( I think that's what it is)

Thanks for any replies. Help is appreciated.

I noticed the negative was loose on battery. Could that cause a surge of the motor?

Thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Looks like you have a 1995 5.0 Ford carbureted engine. Is the distributor in the front of the engine?

Yes, loose electrical connections could cause this. Might also want to check distributor --- is it installed right? Is timing set right? Is it the right distributor?

sledhill

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

The distributor is on the front. It was installed at at enns brothers up in Winnipeg mb Canada. I assume it is correct as they are one of the biggest
Shops around. I am gonna 're set timing and check connectors and test it out on the weekend

Thanks again. Will post when I test.