Bellows replacement on Volvo Penta 280

Latebraker

Recruit
1980 Bayliner 2550 Saratoga "Off-Shore" Penta 280

Boat has been well taken care of but I need to perform these repairs before I take it out.
This is my first boat.
I am Professional Mechanic.
I want to replace both upper (u-joint housing) bellows and lower (exhaust) bellows.
I thought I would replace the U-Joint while I'm in there.
I also want to perform any maintenance/parts replacement that may be advantageous while I have this section of the drive taken apart.
I was told it's been over 10 yrs since this service.

This question has probably been addressed here many times but I would appreciate any help or links you can provide.
Thanks in advance!

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bellows replacement on Volvo Penta 280

A few items come to mind:
1. Check the oil in the drive and drain it into a pan to inspect for water intrusion (seal problem) or metal shavings.
2. Change the raw water pump impeller.
3. Water pump and alternator belts should be changed. All water hoses should be inspected - especially the one leading from the stern drive to mounting plate and then on to the raw water pump.
4. Change or clean and gap the spark plugs. Check plug deposits to see if the engine fuel system is running too rich or too lean.
5, Get propeller rebuilt in a shop that can repair and re-balance the blades.
6. Check the stern drive and engine alignment. (special tool required)
7. Build a wooden frame to assist in removing the drive. Several designs have been suggested in earlier articles. This frame is also very helpful when re-installing the drive.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the rest of the season.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

captmello

Captain

I would replace the water intake fitting and gasket on the outdrive, just below the ujoint bellows.
Volvo Penta 854031-2, GLM 23011 - Sierra 18-2777 - iboats

Check for play in the PDS (drive shaft) bearings, the splined shaft that the ujoint yoke slips over. Any play in those bearings and they need to be replaced.

There is no need to remove the entire outdrive in this case. Just the upper gear assembly.
Here's how:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

Sometimes you just don't know what you're going to find! Is the boat out of the water now? On a trailer?

Oh, and you shouldn't have to worry about alignment either, the 280 outdrive doesn't get aligned like mercs, and newer volvos.

Last edited:

Latebraker

Recruit

Thanks for the quick replies and links! (and the welcome!)
I'll do all the suggested maintenance/tests before we go out.

Yes, this is an old boat and was primarily used in salt water, however, I think because the previous owner took good care and did a good job of maintaining it, my family and I will have years of enjoyment from it. I think it is a well built vessel.

The fact that I can do all the labor makes the $4k price I paid for the boat worth it.

Edit:
Sometimes you just don't know what you're going to find! Is the boat out of the water now? On a trailer?
Boat is on a trailer in my driveway.
That's good news about the alignment. I'm so glad I found this site! I'm trying to stick with fixing mechanical issues first but find myself re-finshing teak and upholstery as well. I'm having fun making it my own.

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

Since its a saltwater boat, I would pull the exhaust risers and inspect the mating surfaces of the riser and manifold. Salt water boats go through exhaust manifolds every 5-10 years. If the manifolds are ignored, they can leak and destroy the motor.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Good hints from the others.
The pump need to be serviced.
The impeller and the cam in the pump housing should be replaced.
There is a grease fitting on top of the bell housing above the drive shaft.
It supplies grease to the bearings on the drive shaft.
Profile? Location?
You might be close to someone who can help?