Manifold & Riser schedule for replacing? Corrosion?

mirabeau

Cadet
Hi,

I've a newbie on here and a newbie to boating if my first purchase goes ahead. That is one of the reasons I'm posting here as I'm trying to gather info on whether to purchase or not. I'm looking at a 1999 Glastron GS 229 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL with 250 hours on it (sea water). It's the engine I have my first question on if someone would be kind enough to advise?

I'm awaiting service records and history, but have been verbally told the boat receives an annual service. What that really means I will know when the paperwork is available and it run it by an independent engineer. But in reading up about these engines I've seen lots of articles relating to the manifolds and risers which if not replaced can cause catastrophic failures. So I'm wondering does a schedule exist for replacing these? Would I have expected this boat to have them replaced and if not is that a worry?

I took a couple of snaps of the engine (at the time I wasn't focusing on this manifold/riser) and and can see some corrosion around the gasket area:

manifold-riser-1.jpgmanifold-riser-2.jpgengine1.jpg

Any suggestions on this or other things that would be useful in helping me validate this purchase would be great.

Thanks

MP

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Manifold & Riser schedule for replacing? Corrosion?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....
Generally speakin', boatin' in the brine, ya pull the riser off the manifolds every couple of years, clean, 'n inspect the gasket surfaces, 'n if in spec, put 'em back together for another couple years,...

I hear you can expect 5 to 8 years life expectancy, possibly 10 years,...

mirabeau

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I popped down to the boat earlier to checkout the oil (looks new) and I took another photo of one of the risers. I'm not sure whether how it looks means it's gone bad?

manifold-riser-3.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The surface rust really doesn't mean much.
Have a marine tech do a survey.
This should include a compression test.
Hull check.
Equipment function.
Drive check,oil and universal joint and bellows check.
The manifolds can last as long as 25 years.
Or as short as 8.Usually 12-15
If you plan on keeping the boat,then you should have the manifolds replaced as soon as you get it.
Clean oil doesn't mean anything other than it's been changed :)
Volvo drives are the best out there.Also the most costly.
250 hrs.Not a lot. Means it sat a LONG time.
The manifolds setting with out something in them can rust quicker than setting with water or antifreeze.
Profile? Location? Salt , fresh water?
If the interior is in good shape, that's an indicator the guy's taken care of it.
Check the trailer out too.
I bought a used boat and the guy said the trailer was in GREAT shape.
It didn't make it 1/2 block :)

mirabeau

Cadet

If the interior is in good shape, that's an indicator the guy's taken care of it.

It is quite rough cosmetically, especially on the interior which worries me. I can clean all that up, but that lack of care may extend to the mechanicals as you say. I'll know more when the servicing paperwork arrives and I can speak with the technician who looked apparently after it annually.

Thanks for all that great info. I'm trying to source someone local to help me with all those checks. The current owner has a new boat so this one was dry docked for a couple of years FYI.

But on those manifolds/risers (14 years old). I would plan to keep the boat, so I will use the replacement of these in price negotiation. That's reasonable isn't it? They are probably on the limit of their lifetime in sea water. I looked at the Barr units which would be about ?700 all in. Any ideas what labor might be?

Thanks

MP

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

generally, if a boater did not worry about keeping the interior clean, the mechanicals have been neglected.

I even keep vinyl cleaner on the boat along with window cleaner.

labor to pull manifolds and replace them takes about 2 hours with the boat out of the water. a bit less if everything goes well, a bit more if you start breaking off bolts.

mirabeau

Cadet

It turns out the manifolds and risers were replaced three years with OEM parts. The reason? Poor performance and an investigation found water ingress on the starboard bank. On the mechanicals, the service history seems pretty good. I've received the records and had an independent look at them. I'm having the boat checked over now which includes a compression test and inspection of the manifolds/risers amongst other things.

Thanks for the advice..

Reel-hip

Seaman Apprentice

Change the manifolds and risers! I waited longer than I should and it allowed water into the motor which caused complete engine failure turning a minor cost into a major one. Doug

mirabeau

Cadet

Update: I've had the boat independently inspected which included a compression test and inspection of manifolds and risers amongst other things. Everything checked out and the mainifolds/risers were as good as new internally. It needs a full service but nothing major found :)

Thanks for all the helpful replies...

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

Great idea getting the engine inspected, but don't stop there. Get a marine surveyor to inspect the hull and test for dry rot. The moisture sensors they have are awesome. It doesn't take much rain water getting someplace it shouldn't be to start the rot process. Last time I checked this should only cost $250 - $300 for a 22' boat on a trailer. Repairs of that nature are for more extensive and expensive than repairs on the engine!