Volvo Penta 280 Gear Ratio

Bert Bergen

Cadet
Need help from a Volvo Penta outdrive expert. I put a Perkins diesel in my 32 food Alcan aluminum boat which has a VP 280 outdrive. The gear ratio is 1:61. I have the largest prop available which is still not large enough to use the available power of the diesel. My only option left is to find a lower gear ratio which will fit the 280. Volvo made some 270's, the 270E and 270TE with lower gear ratios plus a 280E with a 1:45 gear ratio. All of these gears are quick change as per the information I read. My question is would these quick change 270 gears fit into a 280 and where would I find one. Thanks for the help.

Bert Bergen

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Gear Ratio

I think you're looking for something rare. Could you just have a custom built prop instead. What size prop are you running now?

Bert Bergen

Cadet

I think you're looking for something rare. Could you just have a custom built prop instead. What size prop are you running now?

I am currently running a 16 inch diameter by 23 inch pitch. This is the biggest prop available off the shelf. Are there prop manufacturer that would do a custom with either a larger diameter or greater pitch. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

captmello

Captain

I am currently running a 16 inch diameter by 23 inch pitch. This is the biggest prop available off the shelf. Are there prop manufacturer that would do a custom with either a larger diameter or greater pitch. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if the manufacturers do custom, but a good prop shop should be able to modify you existing prop. I don't think you'll be able to go bigger diameter, but they should be able to change the pitch. I would suggest posting in the prop forum for more specific prop advice. That diesel must be pumping out some big power.