Volvo penta 7.4 GI PWTR Fuel pump problem

cruiser262

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone

my engine got serviced recently(belts,impeller,oil, filters etc).Yesterday i started it for the first time after being on holidays but no joy.It started immediately but as soon as i turned the ignition off and on after a while, it cranked without starting.Spark plugs have been checked as well as fuel filter and fuel lines.Today i wanted to go out for a sea trial...engine started smoothly then i started moving and right outside the marina while i was going above idle it quit.I tried to restart and it did but only after 5 mins then Tried to go faster but it shut down as soon as i selected more power.Low pressure fuel pump seems to work because it emits a small sound for 2-3 secs as soon as i turn the key just before starting....any help?

cheers
Cruiser

jrluhm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo penta 7.4 GI PWTR Fuel pump problem

I just had this similar issue on my 4.3. it turns out the the alternator operates the fuel pump after initial start up on mine. May check Ur as well. Hope this helps

oldboots

Recruit
We were dealing with the same problems of failing fuel pumps. Found by loosening combination vent/fuel fill cap the problem went away. Tightened cap and problem was back. It all makes sense, cut off air coming into tank, the pump will pull air from fittings or cracked pick up tube causing bubbles in low pressure pump burning it up. Vicious cycle! Just saying, something to check out.