Volvo penta 3.0 starter issues

Neo201602

Recruit
I recently acquired a 1999 glastron sx175. It has a 1999 volvo penta 3.0 engine. I was told it was a recently rebuilt engine but it goes through starters faster than gas. I filled the boat up and took it to the water. Hit the button and it fired right up no issues. I rode it around for about 30 minutes or so and stopped to swim with some buddies by the shore for a couple of hours. When I got back on to take off it sounded like crap when I went to start it an it took me about 5-10 minutes before it finally started. I got it bak trailered and took it home. That night I got on it cleaning it out and tried to start it just to see if it still sounded like that. When I hit the button it started to fire up but then the starter began spinning and then started making a grinding noise and the engine quit trying to fire. I removed the starter and the teeth on the starter were broke off. Flywheel looks fine no teeth chipped or broke. I checked the oil for water just in case it had dieseled and i didn't realize it. The oil was brand new straight oil no water in it at all. I removed the spark plugs and checked for water just in case it had been Hydrolocked and no water in cylinders. I am stumped. I know I have to get a new starter but there has to be some reason as to why these starters keep breaking. Any assistance is appreciated!!! Thanks!