Volvo 5.7 GL, Voltmeter, Tachometer and trim indicator issues

gw1284

Recruit
Just purchased a used boat with a Volvo Penta 5.7GL. The engine runs really well however I noticed the voltmeter was showing almost 18v at idle. With the engine running I checked the battery with a multimeter and it it showing 14.92, so I don't believe it is the voltage regulator, could it just be the gauge? The other issue I am having is the the tachometer, it fluctuates from 1000-2500 then at some point will just drift up to 6000 and stay there. This all happens while the engine is in a smooth idle. Finally, the trim works fine but the indicator does not respond, is there an way to check if its the gauge?

Thanks everyone for the help. I am very excited to own a boat but want to get these items corrected so I have better situational awareness. We have never owned a boat so I want to have as much information as possible especially with the engine performance.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo 5.7 GL, Voltmeter, Tachometer and trim indicator issues

Sounds to me like you have a grounding problem. Check all the ground wires on and around the engine and instrument pod for corrosion, and the battery terminals for tightness and cleanliness.

gw1284

Recruit

Thanks! I will give that a look. It appears that instruments are secured from the back, is that correct?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How would anyone know as you have not told anyone what boat or what instrument package you have.

gw1284

Recruit

Right, that would help! Its a 1997 Harris Kayot Deck boat. I am not sure what instrument package it has. How would I go about finding out? I don't see any type of name on the actual instruments.

Thanks

VE1TRB

Recruit

Right, that would help! Its a 1997 Harris Kayot Deck boat. I am not sure what instrument package it has. How would I go about finding out? I don't see any type of name on the actual instruments.

Thanks

I had a similar problem with my boat 1996 larson Volvo penta 3.0. On mine, there is a round connector with a bunch of wires on it. It has a hose clamp around it. I opened it up after having the same symptoms you described. There was a bit of corrosion in there so, with the battery disconnected, I cleaned out each of the contact points (male and femal) using a brush and penetrating oil and copmressed air. After everything was good and clean, I put it all back together and all was fine. The connector on mine is on the Stbd side of the engine, mounted on a bracket at the back of the engine.
Hope this helps.

gw1284

Recruit

Ok, so I got the RPM to settle down and I think that gauge is now stable. However, the trim indicator is still not working. The trim works fine up and down but I get zero indication on the gauge. Additionally, I noticed that there are 3 flashing lights on the transom from what I believe is the trim/tilt limiter. Can anyone shed any light on why these lights would be flashing at all times?

Last edited:

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also had these problems on a 5.0 gl-e. The main engine connector (round plug on starboard side)
was starting to corrode. After cleaning all terminals, no more problems with rpms or trim gauge.