1985 bayliner volvo penta 2.1 with 270 outdrive overheating

Stworsen

Cadet
Boat started overheating. Ran at about 190 to 200 now is going up to 240 to 260. I have to keep adding water. New impeller new intake...... need help! I am good with cars but know little about this boat. We boatthe boat cheap and have had no problems forthefirst few months. Any advise??

captmello

Captain
Re: 1985 bayliner volvo penta 2.1 with 270 outdrive overheating

I check the intake fitting under the ujoint bellows. It corrodes and leaks air.

Looks like this.

Intermediatehoseconnectioncorrosion.jpg

Just reread your post. Where are you adding water? You have a closed cooling system. You should have antifreeze in the block and in the red expansion tank, and you have a heat exchanger which is in the housing with the black cap just starboard of the red tank. Do you understand how the cooling system works?

Stworsen

Cadet

I have to add water to the tank. The heat exchanger is the tank with the basket in it, correct? I do not understand how it works. There is also a noise coming from under the expansion tank ( dont know if that matters)

Stworsen

Cadet

Oh yeah, intake fitting is new

Stworsen

Cadet

How do I remove the tank from the heat exchanger?

captmello

Captain

How do I remove the tank from the heat exchanger?

Don't just start taking things apart. Describe the overheating in more detail. Does it overheat all the time, in the water, on muffs, etc. There are a lot of way to overheat.

captmello

Captain

I have to add water to the tank. The heat exchanger is the tank with the basket in it, correct? I do not understand how it works. There is also a noise coming from under the expansion tank ( dont know if that matters)

The red tank should be a sealed system with antifreeze in it. The basket/strainer is a filter for the raw water coming into the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is below the strainer. you should have raw water flowing very strongly in the strainer housing.

Stworsen

Cadet

Going to put water to it and see if I can tell where it's leaking from. When I loosened the cap on the heat exchanger water poured out. It's losing water from the sealed system tank. As long as there is water in it , it's cool. Simple as that.

Stworsen

Cadet

How can it be losing water from the sealed system? Can it be going out of the heat exchanger?

captmello

Captain

yes it could, you need to pressure test it. You should be able to use an auto rad. pressure tester on the expansion tank.

let us know what you find.:)

Stworsen

Cadet

It looks like there is a water pump under the holding tank. This is leaking when I apply pressure to the tank. Where do iget one and how do I replace.

captmello

Captain

Cooling System, Induction- And Exhaust Manifold: A AQ140A : A - 7742840 - Volvo Penta

#28 is the circulation pump. Unfortunatly, they are expensive... You could try looking on ebay, maybe find a used one. Are you positive its the pump leaking? Those old pumps do wear out and are not an automotive replacement, so you don't have many options...I would pull the part and see what other seals and gaskets you need to replace before ordering any parts.

Stworsen

Cadet

Yeah, it didnt take me long to figure out how much a new one was going to cost. There is a guy in Michigan that will rebuild it for 99 dollars.Thanks for all the help.