Volvo Penta Gi 5.0 PEFS Fuel pump problem???? or???

GrizzlyWm

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to iboats and hope someone might be able to shed some light on the issue I am having. I have read everything I can on this, but curious what your thoughts are. After pulling the boat from storage this year, it never would run at more than a quick idle. I filled the tanks before storage and used stabil in the gas, however, I did not run it through the system (bad advice from a "friend") before putting up last winter. Now the boat will start and run just fine, but would not allow the throttle to advance. checked the connections on the fuel pump, the anti siphon valve, replaced fuel filter (no water in it), pulled fuel pump apart and cleaned the screens (no paint chips although I can see paint starting to separate inside), pressures on low pump 8-10, high pump 29, Voltage is good and alternator is charging, no apparent restrictions from the fuel tank, fuel vent appears good.

Last night I went to the lake to take pressure reading under load. Started it up and it would not run above 1500 rpms. Shut it down, hooked up the gauge and it started running like a champ. ???? Ran it all over the lake and the readings were fine. Then it started losing power above 3500 rpm and I noticed that the pressure on the high pump would dive to 20 or a little less with WOT. I know vacuum drops at WOT and wonder if the reservoir in between the pumps is not opening up which in turn is creating a vacuum that the pump is having a tough time pumping against? There is a spring loaded contraption in a tube within that reservoir that connects to the vacuum side of the throttle body assembly. Is this causing the whining of the pump...or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new $$$$$$ pump?

Many thanks for your help- sad to see that Don is no longer with us. Sounded like he was an amazing guy.

GrizzlyWm

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta Gi 5.0 PEFS Fuel pump problem???? or???

I took it out this morning and it is running very poorly again. The fuel pump is whining and the pressure on the high pump drops to 15- 20 psi under load. Now it has also become extremely hard to start. I did notice fuel in the vacuum line on top of the fuel reservoir as well. Can anyone help me with this? We have a big trip planned soon and the boat is a huge part of the trip. Kids are really disappointed so far:grumpy:

Thank you in advance.

GrizzlyWm

Recruit

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy marine/ Volvo mechanic in the Dallas TX area? I was hoping someone might be have had some ideas on here, but I'm starting to think I'm up the creek on this.

Thank you.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do a search here you will find a post on how to recondition the pumps/vapour tank. It sounds as if you have the paint peeling problem that blocks the pump gauzes and the vapour tank.

es135

Cadet

n/a

Last edited:

GrizzlyWm

Recruit

Thank you, but I didn't see any signs of paint clogging the screens. I pulled the float and needle out of the reservoir and made sure they were clean too. It could be that some trash/ paint found its way to the fuel rail / fuel regulator. I'm not sure where the regulator even is though! I see the vacuum line coming off the fuel reservoir, but the place where it attaches to the throttle plat sure doesn't look like a regulator to me. I appreciate your reply.