2002 Volvo Penta 5.7gi engine problem

tiagir

Recruit
We have an issue with the Volvo Penta 5.7gi engine as it starts losing power/torque and chocks up at 1,500 RPM.
We replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs with the new ones as well as replaced fuel in the tank, however, still have the same issue. We also noted that there is an unusual squeaking sound coming from the new fuel pump. Not sure what the root cause of the issue and need your help / expert advice. Please also refer to the attached video to hear the fuel pump noise .Thank you in advance.

crosswinds

Recruit
Re: 2002 Volvo Penta 5.7gi engine problem

Im fighting with a very similar thing on the same engine. (See below post that says "falls flat at 4k"). Im not a mechaninc by all means but if you look in the archives it will give an a-z test step for testing the fuel issues. My fuel pump has been winding for a long time and still ran fine. While troubleshooting the other day I pulled the fuel pressure regulator and the screen was gunked pretty darn thick. It is located on the port side on top of the engine. Closest thing to you on the fuel rail. It's held on by one clip that you pull straight up with at screw driver. Once I pulled it out. I cleaned it. The fuel pump whining went down considerably. Unfortuantely it didn't fix my problem. Also read search the thread that says "save your money". It talks about cleaning the screen on the pumps themselves. Im fixing to head to the lake as soon as I get off the computer and trouble shoot some more. Ill let you know if I stumble onto anything else that mayhelp you. Also. buy a fuel pressure test gauge from any auto parts store. Should be less than 50 bucks. Hook it up to the low pressure pump then the high pressure pump. Record pressure while idling and while running the boat. (takes two people).From what I have read and understand. You should be around 10 on the low pump and 60 on the high. It should not fluctuate much at all. AGAIN. Im speaking from what ive read in the archives here. So it's not gospel. It's just what info I have to share. Good luck. And keep us posted.