Oil Pressure Sensor for Volvo Penta 4.3GL

king3585

Cadet
I pulled the engine because the flywheel fell off due to improper installation, however, upon reinstall the oil pressure gauge is reading zero. Is there a fuse or wore I might have missed?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Oil Pressure Sensor for Volvo Penta 4.3GL

Go to the "Adults only" section at the top of the forum page and see if you can download a manual for your engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What happens to your gauge when you ground the wire going to the sender? When grounded, it should peg it at high pressure on the gauge.

king3585

Cadet

Thanks -I'll download the manual and try grounding the sensor. I put a multimeter on it yesterday but didn't get anything.

betroncm

Cadet

Thanks -I'll download the manual and try grounding the sensor. I put a multimeter on it yesterday but didn't get anything.

If you have only 1 wire connected to your sending unit then it controls the amount of ground to your gauge. So using a multi meter won't do you any good. Do what bruceb58 said and ground the wire. If it pegs out your gauge then your wire and gauge are fine. Check connection to the sending unit or the sending unit itself maybe bad.

king3585

Cadet

Only one wire sending unit. Owners manual doesn't have anything on wiring diagram or oil sending unit (probably need service manuals). I'll try the ground and see what it does. Thanks for the help. I have pulled the sensor off and cranked it over to see what happened and oil shot up and everywhere. I can also see oil running on top of the heads through the oil fill cap so I know there is some oil pressure. Also, no lifter noise. But I've had lots of problems with this boat so want to find the problem before it turns into something else...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't even need to take the wire off the sender. Just ground it to the block as is. Simple and fast test.

king3585

Cadet

Grounded the wire and got nothing from the gauge. Traced the wire back, unplugged and replugged the ten pin connection and the gauge started working. It stopped a couple times on the outing today and tapping the glass on the gauge and it started working again. So at least I know it is not the engine or the sensor. Something in the wiring either bad connections or the gauge itself. Thanks for the tips.