Volvo penta 290 duo prop alarm

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 stamas 26 foot hardtop. boat is equiped with a 1999 5.7 vortec engine. last time out while in slow/no wake zone, alarm started going off. alarm is constant beeping noise. checked all engine vitals and all were ok. normal oil pressure 170 water temp and 14 volts. all as boat always has run. upon checking everything out we decided to proceed with our day. boat was fine . boat is now home on the trailer and alarm is still going off as soon as you turn on key. can not find where alarm is coming from. any ideas??? thanks eric

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo penta 290 duo prop alarm

Work your way round the sensors pulling the wire off each in turn until it stops, then you will know which sensor is responsible and can decide just what to do about it.

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks for the reply.next question . I have looked all over the engine and the only sensors I see are for the guage pods. do they double for the alarm? if so how come all of my readings are correct? also do you know where alarm wouls be located? is it in one of the insruments? have looked everywhere and can not find it. thanks eric

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure it's coming from the boat or the depth finder? Fish alarm,?depth alarm,?shallow water alarm? Just a thought.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The temp senders supply the gauges, the temp sensors are separate and supply the alarm and the ECU. Down load the service manual from the "Adults Only" section of this forum, to find the location of them on your engine.

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The same thing happened to me on my 2004 Volvo-Penta 5.7. Got it home and spent hours trouble-shooting - NOTHING! Decided while I had it out to do the 100 hr. maintenance including the impeller. The impeller had one spline missing from it. I got everything done and took it back out - no alarm! The dealer said it is possible that even though it wasn't running hot the engine might have sensed it wasn't getting quite enough water. 85 hours later and I haven't had an alarm go off since.

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replys guys. turned out to be a fuel alarm. boat has a fuel flow meter and fuel guage. apparently flow meter was not reset correctly be me when I filled up. funny thing is, even though it thought I was out of fuel it was still displaying flow rate. I would have thought it would blink or show gallons left or something. finally found it by placing stethoscope(screwdriver lol) on each guage till I found where it was coming from. live and learn. only had the boat a few months and find out something new each trip. again thanks for the help. eric