1982 Volvo Penta V8 alternator/battery wiring qestion

cheechako

Cadet
Here's my questions:
The Alternator output wire... does it go to the starter (battery) post connection? Its buried in the loom and I cant tell.
There is a circuit breaker mounted on the top of the engine (V8 Chevy)... is that for the starter solenoid or Alternator charging circuit?
Anyone see a problem with just diconnecting the output wire at the alternator and going straight to the batteries thru a combiner instead of to the wiring loom etc.? (I'm installing a battery combiner that allows both batteries to be charged no matter where the battery switch is selected for starting)

40Grit

Recruit
Re: 1982 Volvo Penta V8 alternator/battery wiring qestion

Yes the starter lug is the heart of the system moving output to the isolator is how it's done. Remember you will loose a volt over the isolation diode generally not a big deal Go big on wire size as it does a bit of wk

cheechako

Cadet

Thanks for the comeback. I finished it a couple of days ago. Put a little islolator in that doesnt draw much at all, and separated my two battery banks. I can now start off either battery, both charge whether "on" or not and my designated house battery has it's own "on/off" switch. Hopefully I'll never run both batteries flat this way!

40Grit

Recruit

An isolator is quite different from a combiner. Where the isolator is simply a check valve. Only allowing charge current to pass one direction. Saving you from having to remember to turn your A&B switch back and forth charging distribution is not feeding thru starting cables, allowing one batt in reserve. Remember. The Both position on the A&B switch is not your friend this setting will negate your back up. Fairly fool proof. The combiner is a different animal. It combines batts during a charge regime once the host batt is up to a pre set voltage. Generally the house batt is the host or first to see charge voltage w the start batt in reserve once the combiner senses the house is up it will connect the system. Like turning the A&B switch to all. Combiners have no voltage loss as there is no diode to push voltage thru. But they are troublesome if your house batt is weak and has trouble taking a charge the combiner will never combine.