2006 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI-F - voltage drops - wont crank

mtymax

Cadet
Trying to start the boat for the first time this year in the driveway. tried to start it but battery was dead. went and bought new battery, hooked everything up, all electrical worked (sinks,blowers,lights,etc). then I tried to crank the engine and it just clicked like a dead battery for about 2-3 times that I tried to start it. then on the 4th time, I heard a louder single click and then nothing works (no blowers,lights,etc). thought the battery might have been bad but its not. waited a few days and checked the battery, registered 12.6 volts on the meter. so I hook it up again to the boat and test, still 12.6 volts. then I try to start the engine and I hear the loud click, and nothing. I check the battery and it is now registering 3.9 volts. if I disconnect the positive lead on the battery and recheck, its back at 12.6 volts. is this a short? bad starter? tripped breaker? bad connection? seems like if I wait a day, whatever it is resets itself and it will try to start but then the click just comes back and everything goes out.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

justinteoc

Seaman
Re: 2006 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI-F - voltage drops - wont crank

is is more than likely the positive cable that goes from the battery to the starter if there is corrosion replace it. Replacing only the ends just postpones the inevitable. IF there is not any corrosion on the positive cable check the ground cable that goes to the starter.

mtymax

Cadet

Thanks!! I will try that and post the outcome!

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you tried to turn the engine with the plugs out. The loud click might have been the starter engaging with the flywheel of a seized engine, that would give you the low voltage due to a massive drain on the battery.

mtymax

Cadet

Would the low voltage stay even while not cranking the engine?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, if the solenoid has thrown the starter into gear on the flywheel and it has jammed.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

If your battery is registering 4 volts at the battery terminals ----- you have a bad battery.
A current draw that great on a good battery would melt the terminals.

mtymax

Cadet
i know its a couple years later but i figured i would comment on my original problem. this was definitely the connections to the battery/starter. disconnected them all, cleaned them well and hooked everything back up. boat fired right up! hope this helps someone else with a similar issue! thanks for the help guys!

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks mtymax for coming back into this thread and letting everyone know the outcome of your situation. I'm sure that it will help someone else with a similar issue.