Volvo Penta 5.0GL PWTR Raw Water Pump Replacement

qqoj

Recruit
Forgive me for I am new to boating.

I have a VP 5.0GL with a DP-SM outdrive. My raw water pump is leaking and I have a new unit to replace the leaking one. Question is the boat is in the water and I want to replace it without pulling the boat out. As far as I can tell I have no seacocks to isolate the pump. I assume that any water in the hoses that are above the water line will drain to the bilge and will not be a continous flow of water while I have the pump off. Do I need to prime the impeller so I don't run it dry when I first fire up the engine?

I appreciate any help/suggestions you have.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0GL PWTR Raw Water Pump Replacement

Firstly I have almost the same motor as you (Gi not GL) but as far as the pump is concerned they are the same. Water will flow into the boat when the hoses are removed, but don't worry it is not under any pressure, just have a length of string to hand and tie it to the hoses and raise the ends up until they stop flowing i.e. just above the outside water level, or stuff a rag in them. Now replace the pump. If it is a OEM pump then it will have the impeller installed and lubricated with glycerine. The pump will self prime when you start the motor.
Do not throw away the old pump as it can be rebuilt with just a new bearing and seal for approx. $25. If you do a search on this forum you will find the part numbers and sizes that can be purchased from an Auto supplier.

qqoj

Recruit

Thank you, this will make me a little more at ease when I replace the pump today. My new pump is a Genuine VP pump with a cast bronze body and pulley and doesn't look the same as the old one. Possibly the old one is original to the engine as it is painted black (charcoal) same as the engine.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recently replaced my raw water pump and the replacement pump is not painted either, but the pump was identical. I assume so they paint the pump at factory when they paint the assemblies motor.
Thank you, this will make me a little more at ease when I replace the pump today. My new pump is a Genuine VP pump with a cast bronze body and pulley and doesn't look the same as the old one. Possibly the old one is original to the engine as it is painted black (charcoal) same as the engine.