A couple of operation questions about my Volvo Penta AQ131D and 275 Outdrive

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I picked up this boat back in the fall and just finally got it in the water a couple weeks ago for the first time. I have a couple questions.

1988 Invader (not sure of model) with a Volvo Penta AQ131D (275 Outdrive)

I've read the operation manual for this setup. To rev operate the throttle (rev the engine) in neutral, it refers to a button at the pivot point on the controls that can be used...but my controls don't have this button. How to I keep the drive in neutral while operating the throttle?

My outdrive would not lock in the down position while operating. If I put the boat in reverse, the outdrive woud raise...I see that this could cause major problems, so I want to find out how to keep this from happening. I assume there might be some sort of shift interlock system that is supposed to keep the outdrive locked in the down position under certain conditions...but I could sure use an explanation from someone on how this setup works.

The tilt function is inoperable on my boat (something I will try to diagnose and fix) so the previous owner was just using a strap to tilt and support the outdrive while the boat is on the trailer. (this isn't a question, just an explanation in case it helps with my interlock question above).

Thanks for any help!

Clem
Columbia MO

betroncm

Cadet
Re: A couple of operation questions about my Volvo Penta AQ131D and 275 Outdrive

Hi all,

I picked up this boat back in the fall and just finally got it in the water a couple weeks ago for the first time. I have a couple questions.

1988 Invader (not sure of model) with a Volvo Penta AQ131D (275 Outdrive)

I've read the operation manual for this setup. To rev operate the throttle (rev the engine) in neutral, it refers to a button at the pivot point on the controls that can be used...but my controls don't have this button. How to I keep the drive in neutral while operating the throttle?

My outdrive would not lock in the down position while operating. If I put the boat in reverse, the outdrive woud raise...I see that this could cause major problems, so I want to find out how to keep this from happening. I assume there might be some sort of shift interlock system that is supposed to keep the outdrive locked in the down position under certain conditions...but I could sure use an explanation from someone on how this setup works.

The tilt function is inoperable on my boat (something I will try to diagnose and fix) so the previous owner was just using a strap to tilt and support the outdrive while the boat is on the trailer. (this isn't a question, just an explanation in case it helps with my interlock question above).

Thanks for any help!

Clem
Columbia MO

Clem,
Attached picture should be of your 275 outdrive intermediate housing. When the shifter is on reverse, rod # 3 pushes the reverse inhibitor #48 to keep the outdrive latch #43 locked in place. Make sure rod # 46 and sleeve # 47 are also adjusted properly. Does your tilt motor work? Check also the end of the intermediate housing fork where sleeve #47 sticks out. If that is damaged then the sleeve binds with the push ram of your tilt motor.
Not sure about your throttle control. I pull the handle out towards me and that puts it in neutral.

Attachments

• INTERMEDIATE HOUSING DRIVE 275(0).pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 2

Maclin

Admiral
Re: A couple of operation questions about my Volvo Penta AQ131D and 275 Outdrive

Regarding the throttle-only button, maybe yours is like mine. My operator's manual says that I have a button too, but I don't.....The actual throttle-only operation on mine is to pull the throttle lever out from the mount some. I put my hand in between the lever and the sidewall then coax it out that way.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate the help, all! I'll look over the linkage and see what's going on (with the reverse interrupt/interlock). that's a great help! My tilt function is not operational at this time. I'll need to diagnose that soon. I have searched enough to know that I need to check the motor and the solenoids to isolate the problem.

And thanks both for the input on how to get into throttle-only control mode...I bet that's how mine works too and I'll try it out!

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again folks.

Update: Thanks to the tip, I now know how to operate in throttle-only mode.

For the drive lock...I've been poking around and what I think I found is that the nuts (56) on rod 54 were tight enough to keep the hooks (53) from operating freely. (I have no idea, yet if I've got those washers, 45).

I backed the nuts (56) off just a bit and the springs pulled the top of hook 53 aft.

So...it locks now...but it seems to be locked all the time (unless the tilt were operated and then it seems like it would disengage the lock)

I'm not quite sure how those hooks (53) are supposed to operate. I can't see anything that moves them back forward at any time...

Any discussion on the operation of that would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Clem

captmello

Captain

It should be locked/hooked all the time unless you engage the tilt. Nothing moves the hooks, there is some linkage that is just supposed to lock the hooks when you reverse, but that locking in reverse seems unnecessary since the hooks, like you say are hooked all the time.

axisg

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for this info. My outdrive also raises sometime in reverse and I have been unable to locate the problem

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks all,

I'll try to post some photos of what I have going on and have figured out (or have NOT figured out) in hopes of helping others.

I found this thread that indicates that the outdrive is NOT supposed to be locked down when in forward gear (so it can tilt up if you hit something): http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...ives/volvo-275-kicking-up-reverse-316589.html

I have mine where it will lock down all the time...but it is not releasing in forward. This is better than I had (not locked in reverse) but since I use my boat on the Missouri River...I definitely would prefer that it to be able to tilt when (not if) I hit something.

Thanks,
Clem

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

I read that thread again and I'm just not sure what to conclude.

I looked at the manual, and I've worked on my drive many times. I can find nothing that mechanically releases the retaining pawl when the drive is shifted into forward. The only thing I see happen, is the locking mechanism locks the hooks in place when the outdrive is shifted into reverse. So,...I believe, that in nuetral and forward the outdrive is not locked down. It is held in place by the spring loaded hooks and if the outdrive were to hit something, the hooks would release. When you shift into reverse, the hooks are locked mechanically to make sure the hooks don't release.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That very well could be it. I'll look it over again in the daylight and see if that adds up (I bet it does).

Now...I've got to get my oil into the outdrive with something other than gravity (it's SLOW!) after replacing the bellows...and figure out why my steering arm is not tight on the steering fork. Looks like a common issue, though...

Thanks,
Clem

captmello

Captain

Now...I've got to get my oil into the outdrive with something other than gravity (it's SLOW!)

I just pump it up from the bottom. its a little messy, but works just fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The drive is supposed to be locked down unless you activate the tilt motor.
You DON"T have trim, just tilt.
The electric motor for the trim, unhook it and test it.If it's real (it's not a fast spinner anyway)slow or makes any grumbling noises it's probably bad.
Look outside on the bottom of the tilt shaft should be a flat connector on the end.
It's supposed to push down on the linkage and release the drive lock down when the motor's activated.
You might have to take the whole system out and disassemble it and regrease it.
2 bolts and it comes out.
Under the cover on the back, there is a plug about 5/16 allen head. That's the fill for your drive.30w oil.
Drain from the bottom and fill from the mid section.
The drive originally had a tilt bracket for trailering.Look up the parts diagrams and see if you can locate it and possibly find one on e-bay.
That motor/drive combo was/is one really good unit. Good on fuel and the drive was bullet proof.
A few things that you need to watch for? Shallow water will fill the heat exchanger with sand/dirt,mud etc.
Very expensive to replace.
The exhaust manifold can look NEW but be bad on the inside.
The starter is in a bad place and it always seems to rust/rot out.
Good luck,J