volvo penta sx cobra outdrive

ermack

Seaman Apprentice
there is no dipstick attached to the screw on the top of my outdrive (sx-0t1 1.97, ser#4112029714, prod#3868397). I am wondering if I can take the 4 screws off that cover and look inside to see if it is in there, or will I screw something up or will something fall apart.........thanks

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo penta sx cobra outdrive

this is what my 95 sx drive looks like. On the top of the drive is where the dipstick for checking the fluid level is located. Behind the cover is the oil level screw that oil should come out of when the drive is full of fluid when you are filling it from the bottom. If you could measure the distance from the top of the drive where the dipstick should be to the oil level screw, you could make your own dipstick to check your oil level. Just make sure not to drop your dipstick in the drive. That would be awful. :eek:

sx drive.jpg

This could get some questions answered on your oil level, but I would order another dipstick. Looks like someone lost the screw with the dipstick, and just replaced it with a screw that fit.

Last edited:

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

the screw looks to be original (painted and all) I forgot to say that it is a 1997 model yr. I still would like to know if I can take that top cover off to look inside and see if there is a broken off dip stick in there, but am afraid it may not go back on easily.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, you can take that top cover off. Be sure to find any thin metal shims that may be installed to keep the top cover clearance right. In other words, make sure you re-install any shims that came off with the cover.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, you can take that top cover off. Be sure to find any thin metal shims that may be installed to keep the top cover clearance right. In other words, make sure you re-install any shims that came off with the cover.

And be sure you torque them to spec. Very easy to over-torque- be careful!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like they said, it is fine to remove the top cover as long as you reuse all the shims and torque correctly. Having said that, there isn't much room under there for missing pieces to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How long has the dipstick been missing? May just want to purchase a new one.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

it was like that when i bought boat.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The dipstick is too long to be hiding out under that top cover. There is no room under there because of the bearing. Order yourself a new dipstick and in the mean time you can use the side oil level hole to check the level.

what prop should my 4.3L Four Winns 190 Horizon have to hit the 4500 RPM WOT

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you should post that question in the props forum or google prop calculator....there are tons of 'em