Volvo Penta - 3.0GLPC - Ghost starting - Service Manual

TerryDactyl

Recruit
Hello all! I've been reading lots of posts on the site (alot of don s), love it and decided to join. I've got a ghost on my 2005 stringray volvo penta 3.0 GLP-C. Last weekend I put the boat in the water and the battery was dead. Hooked up a jump box and immediately the starter kicked over with key not in the boat. To diagnose I eliminated the ignition switch by disconnecting the main wire harness between the motor and front of the boat. Noticed a bit of water in the socket, thought maybe its shorting there. Cleaned and dried it. Still tried to start when applying power. Removing starter relay and that stopped the starter from kicking over but the power to the relay was still 12v. Which makes me think the wire powering the relay is shorting someplace. About an hour into looking through it, the power to the relay shut off and now it is working perfect. Only hits 12v to the relay and starter with the key on.

I've ordered a new starter (to be safe since it drained the battery), starter relay and ignition switch. I don't believe any of this is going to solve the problem.

Interested in thoughts on this? Also having problems locating a wiring diagram for my setup. Its a volvo penta 3.0GLP-C on a 2005 stingray 180lx. Anyone have a downloadable wiring diagram?

TerryDactyl

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta - 3.0GLPC - Ghost starting - Service Manual

Also if online is not an option can anyone point me in the direction of a place I can purchase a service manual or wiring diagram for this boat?

My next step is to tear apart the harness which I'd prefer not to do.