1988 volvo penta daul prop stuck in reverse

murray1886

Recruit
boat was lightly grounded on sand bar... put in reverse to pull back out... once out, tried to put back in forward and nothing.... stuck in reverse! control moves easily... looks like cable is moving.

What do you think could have jarred loose? drive seems to be working correctly... no serious vibration just stuck.

I haven't pulled the boat to physically look at drive yet... boat is a 1988 rogue 2960, twin 350s

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 volvo penta daul prop stuck in reverse

You took off the back cover of the drive to see if the linkage is moving?

murray1886

Recruit

You took off the back cover of the drive to see if the linkage is moving?

No trailer, have to drop $150 to pull the boat.... prob going to do it sat, but wanted some ideas of possible problem. Is the linkage in the unit pretty stable? any clips prone to coming off... cotter pins etc. could a bent shaft lock the cone in one gear where it can't slide up and down? I wasn't driving the boat... so I don't know if the helm control was forced (possibly popping the end of the cable in the housing) or just went limp.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Taking the back cover off is pretty easy. Can even do it in the water if need be. You can then see if the linkage is moving when you shift.

Last edited:

murray1886

Recruit

Taking the back cover off is pretty easy. Can even do it in the water if need be. You can then see if the linkage is moving when you shift.

unfortunately, the out drives on this boat are under a swim platform and I can't see what I'm doing when they're down... and when they're up I can't get to them without drowning :( I know I'll only have a final answer after I pull the boat, but I want to be prepared to check everything. If the boat hit harder than I was told, and cracked the unit or something...could the shift cone get stuck in the reverse gear?