repowering from a Volvo aq151 with 275 drive to a Volvo 4.3gx with a xdp drive

Charlie1

Cadet
I have just bought the 4.3 with a xdp drive and now have to figure out how to close in the larger transom hole install the new drive and engine. I am somewhat nervous about the alignment of the new motor and drive. I am hoping to find a installation manual online. Free would be great. If anyone has a link to a web site it would be much appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: repowering from a Volvo aq151 with 275 drive to a Volvo 4.3gx with a xdp drive

The LAST thing you want to do is put an XDP in your boat. That is the worst POS drive ever developed by Volvo. The even learned after a few short years how much of a piece of junk it was and stopped making them.

Charlie1

Cadet
Re: repowering from a Volvo aq151 with 275 drive to a Volvo 4.3gx with a xdp drive

No choice on the outdrive now. I know the previous owner. It has 600 hours on it and has had no problems. Hopefully this will continue for me.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wait, you are trying to re-power with a used XDP drive? Are you sure you want to do that?

Don S

Well, if you want to go through with it, here is an Installation Manual that covers the XDP.

Charlie1

Cadet

Thanks for the link to the manual. I have spent hours trying to find one on line with no luck. It seems the outdrive is not liked by many. Are there specific parts that fail in it? I have already bought the drive so I will have to install it anyway. I would have thought that Volvo would have stayed with a good thing and only changed the outside construction material? Thanks again for the link to the manual Bob.

Don S

The biggest problem was the bellows. They always leaked. So you were replacing ujoints and gimbal bearing at least once a year, sometimes more.
That plastic housing was another joke. It covers bare aluminum that corrodes away. You just can't see it because of the plastic coating.
That drive is also the most difficult drive to remove and re-install that I have ever had deal with. Working on the insides of the drive was an impossible task at best, and very few shops even spent the money on all the special tools to rebuild it. Many shops even refuse to works on them at all.
It's just an all together poor design.
The XDP only lasted like 3 or 4 years before Volvo even dumped it.

Charlie1

Cadet

I have heard that if you run the engine with the drive up it will rub on the bellows and destroy it. I will be replacing all the bellows when I install it and not run the engine with it up. As far as the corrosion under the plastic housing I will just rinse it well after each use and cross my fingers. Thanks again Don.