2004 Volvo SX lower drive oil leak

cstock

Cadet
Hi, theres milky (moisture) gear oil leaking from propeler. Could it possibly be just the orings or most likely the seals. I'm getting ready to do a pressure test but I already know it's leaking water in and oil out. I can do most things myself and I don't want the boat in the shop for a month while my kids are out of school. I also don't want to screw something up where it needs to be in the shop 6 weeks rather than 4. Any advice on the easiest best techniques and instructions to get this remedied. I watched a few youtube videos where a guy "drilled out the old seal to avoid disassembling the whole unit. I'm sure there are many who will say never do that but if it works? Thanks, Charlie

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2004 Volvo SX lower drive oil leak

You can find your service manual here. Read through replacing the prop shaft seal and see what you think. It's not too involved if memory serves me correctly.

cstock

Cadet

You can find your service manual here. Read through replacing the prop shaft seal and see what you think. It's not too involved if memory serves me correctly.
Ok thanks, I went ahead and ordered a hard copy from this site as well because I like to write a lot of notes. Now I see I need to order the tool to remove the propeller shaft carrier/housing. thanks again Charlie

cstock

Cadet

Ok thanks, I went ahead and ordered a hard copy from this site as well because I like to write a lot of notes. Now I see I need to order the tool to remove the propeller shaft carrier/housing. thanks again Charlie

noticed in the online manual from the link you sent me that the first step after prop removal is to remove the anode, there is not one to remove, just the prop. housing? I used the penta SX manual, mine is a 1.60 but it states this applies to all SX series

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are several versions of the SX drive, and manuals for each. There should be a tag on your drive that says what it is, like sx-c, sx-m, etc.

cstock

Cadet

There are several versions of the SX drive, and manuals for each. There should be a tag on your drive that says what it is, like sx-c, sx-m, etc.

Hi, yes mine is a SX-M 1.60. I also found another manual and downloaded it. Looks pretty straightforward except for the speciality tools. I could take a week making them or order them for around 400.00 for the 4 I need. I was going to go ahead and get started while the parts are enroute. But right off the bat a T27 torx set screw which prevents the prop. housing from spinning lose stripped out on me. Now I got the chore of removing a stainless bolt out of soft aluminum. My kids want to go boating so between the tools and the screw, it's to the shop Mon. They quoted me 250 for the seal replacement, 16.00 parts, rest labor. I did order a new screw and hope to have it replaced so their their mechanic isn't cussing me too bad. Where I work many people "fix things until they're broke'', so to avoid being in that "boat" lol I'm throwing in the "towel", wrong time of year for a DIYSelfer. but thanks for all your help anyway.