volvo penta 3.0GS PBYMCE Chocolate color OIL

jascadman

Cadet
Hi first time poster. I'll try to be as specific as possible. I had over heating issues. Replaced impeller, thermostat, plugs, wires, distributor cap. After replacing the distributor cap the over heating seemed to stop. However when I would put the boat on plane and the rpms were around 3500 I heard a slight ticking not knocking. I stopped driving it and when I got home I noticed that the oil was slightly chocolate color. Being the boat was used in salt water I removed the exhaust elbow to find the gasket blown out into the exhaust area near the only open water port. All other water ports were clogged. I cleaned all ports and checked for leakage with acetone. My question is could this be the reason for the chocolate looking oil? The oil level was not that high. Thank you in advance.

Re: volvo penta 3.0GS PBYMCE Chocolate color OIL

Have you done a compression test? That could tell you if you had a blown headgasket leaking water from the water jacket into the oil. Water in the oil could mean several different things, and a compression test is often the best place to start.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My question is could this be the reason for the chocolate looking oil? The oil level was not that high. Thank you in advance.
Definitely could be the issue. I doubt its the head gasket. You replaced the gasket right? What was the condition of the surface and was there much metal eaten away by corrosion? How old is the manifold/riser?

jascadman

Cadet

I did not change the the gasket yet because I didn't want to put it back together if I had to check the manifold and or head gasket. I failed to mention that I did over heat it 3-4 times above 200 degrees. I was talking to someone who thought that because of that I almost definetlty blew the head gasket, and that the clogged riser was just the start of problems.

jascadman

Cadet

Also the metal itself on the surface was smooth and uncorroded. The elbow is about 13 years old. However does not seem to have any cracked walls as I did the acetone leak test. However accurate....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I reread your first post again. If your riser was clogged, you need to replace it. Same goes for your manifold. if it was actually used 13 years in salt water, its life is over.

Post a picture of the manifold and riser openings next time you have it apart.

jascadman

Cadet

Ok so I took the head and manifold off. The last cylinder had rust in it and a little resdiue build up in the second to last. I did acetone check on manifold and no leaks. I think that the exhaust riser elbow being clogged was my source of water. My question now is can I just clean the cylinder from the rust and put it all back together? What else can I do?

IMG_3112.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3117.jpgIMG_3112.jpg

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

My question is could this be the reason for the chocolate looking oil? The oil level was not that high. Thank you in advance.

what kind of chocolate ? a brown one or a cappuccino coloured ? when you have no high oil level and no cappucino oil colour it may be nothing but only a little bit of condensation and you pulled the head just for fun...

jascadman

Cadet

what kind of chocolate ? a brown one or a cappuccino coloured ? when you have no high oil level and no cappucino oil colour it may be nothing but only a little bit of condensation and you pulled the head just for fun...

Lol i think that may be the case but the exhaust riser was leaking and water getting back into the last cylinder causing rust. I am going to clean the rust off the cylinders and put it back together and see how it runs.

jascadman

Cadet

Ok so an update. I have now checked both the exhaust riser and exhaust/intake manifold for leaks and both were ok. The gasket on the riser seems to be blowing water back into the exhaust portion, so i think that is what gave me water in the oil. I took it out yesterday and checked it after I got back and no water in oil. However now I am having the boat over heat again. I have replaced the impeller, thermostat and cleared the clogged elbow. What else could be making it over heat? I adjusted the valves when I replaced the head gasket and I think the timing is off. Could the timing make the boat over heat? It sputters and I hear a ticking when trying to go up on plane and then it overheats. Also I don't know how to time it because the timing marks rusted off. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you can at least see the zero mark, just get yourself an advance timing light and you can set the timing with it.

jascadman

Cadet

Ok thank you for that. i will pick one up and use that method. If that doesn't stop the overheating what would I try next? Replacing the water circulation pump?