Volvo Penta AQ130C / 270 Water Pump Test

DizzyG

Recruit
I've got a Penta AQ130c that isn't pulling water up via the pump. i've checked the impeller and gasket and they look good. Checked the hose connected to the intake stem and it looks good. No cracks. I've pulled the hose off the intake side of the pump and have blown the hose out to make sure there wasn't any debri. Checked the rigid copper line that comes off the other side of the pump also to be sure that there wasn't any sort of clogging and it was clean as well. There just doesn't seem to be enough sucking power to get the water up through the pump. The muffs are on good and I've got the little intake hole on the bottom of the 270 outboard plugged up as well. Still no water up to the engine. Anybody have any thoughts? I appreciate any advice.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C / 270 Water Pump Test

If you want, you can try working backwards by pressurizing the system just before the pump. I installed a "t" before the pump and then pressurized the system to check for leaks. If you've removed the hose at the water neck fitting to inspect it, and are absolutely sure it's in excellent shape, then you most likely have an air leak somewhere else. Putting emphasis on the fitting because it's a very common source of leaks and is a routine maintenance item.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

DizzyG

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta AQ130C / 270 Water Pump Test

Thanks for the welcome and insight. I will try as you have suggested with pressurizing the line before the pump and go from there. I'll post later today with the findings.