volvo penta 280 to Cobra SX transom hole

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is the hole the same for 280 and cobra sx outdrive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta 280 to Cobra SX transom hole

No, they are not the same size.

Cutout comparison.jpg

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so whats a good way of making this work?

Don S

As old as the boat is, I would first make sure there is no rot, if there is the only way to do the job is to rebuild the transom and cut out the proper sized hole.
If the transom is magically solid Volvo used to have an adapter plate for those drives. I would have to do some searching for a part number. You might search google for a volvo transom adapter plate.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would rather not go with adapter, i keep reading that its pretty expensive, i scored engine with outdrive pretty cheap and trying to see if i can make it work. rebuilding transom doesn't sound all that complicated, wood and fiber, the question is how do i properly cut the hole and align everything.

Don S

Might want to do some reading in the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. They do a lot of transom rebuilding in that forum.

Best thing to do would be to buy a full sized cutout template for the transom shield. They run about $5.

Here is an Installation Manual that will probably answer many of your questions. There is a section on using the template with a PN,

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the reply! i am browsing trough posts and see that people are replacing entire width of the transom board, i am not really picturing how can this be done for by boat, i have hatch in the floor which is narrower than beam so i guess there has to be transom support board behind the engine. i am not near my boat, its a 82 21ft bayliner capri cuddy

Don S

We don't do transoms in this forum, ask that question over in the Restoration forum. Start a new thread, you may not find an answer by just reading old threads. And be prepared to post some pictures. How to Post Pictures - The Basics?/ 468676

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gotcha. I am familiar with picture posting, i am not near my boat at this moment, thanks for your help