Volvo 280 Slipping Under Load

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
aq175a with volvo penta 280 bayliner 21ft caddy
after day of boating went out in evening for a quick run and noticed that when throttling up past ~2500+ rpm it felt like outdrive was slipping. drained oil which looked very milky and grayish. took sample of it to local boat mechanic - was told that i have metal in oil ... not sure how he was able to tell that just by looking. i read about this slipping problem and some referred to shifting mechanism adjustment.
earlier this spring i replaced control box with MV3 Ski Boat Control | SeaStar Solutions
after which i noticed louder thud when was switching gears but didn't pay much attention to it. after reading about slippage problem i readjusted shifting mechanism which made switching much smoother, almost un-noticible
I also filled up outdrive with kerosine+oil mixture and ran for 5 minutes, flushed, refilled with engine oil 5w30 and took it out for another day of boating. had bunch of people aboard boat and by second hour of wakeboarding it slipped again, very mildly, at which moment we stopped waking and procceded with trolling for some pike at slower speeds :)
on the way back home i ran boat full throttle for 45 minutes and had no slippages
also noticed larger loss of power with load when i was able to go faster than that before, didn't have a chance to look at the oil or to run the boat without people.
from what it looks like - i might have problem with cone clutch, is there a way to diagnose it without completely taking cone out? what else could it be?

thanks !