Volvo penta 130 overheating

S3xyone

Cadet
Hello everyone! I'm just wondering what the normal operating tempature of a volvo penta 130 is? My 76 Volvo, which I just bought was running at about 220 today. Is that normal? Is there a thermostat in it that I should change in order to run it a little cooler?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo penta 130 overheating

You should be running 160 to 170 most of the time. Yes, it has a thermostat but there are other components to check also. Make sure there is a thermostat in place. Check the condition of the raw water pump impeller. Severely misshapen, stiff or missing vanes, or dry rotted impeller indicates that it needs to be replaced. If there are any vanes missing, they need to be located and fished out of the system. Then run the engine on muffs to check for full flow. Any air in leakage on the suction side will significantly reduce the amount of cooling water to the engine. The water fitting on top of the outdrive intermediate section is a maintenance replacement item and erodes from the inside, so that is also something to check.

There are other things that can cause overheating but checking the cooling system is the first step.

8point1

Cadet

Mine usually runs 160-180F. x2 on checking the raw water impeller.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If the overheating starts when you get up on plane, it's another indication that the water neck fitting may well be the culprit. Once on plane, that fitting is out of the water so will start allowing air into the system.