Volvo Penta no power to fuel pump

Driver20

Recruit
Good afternoon,

I'm a first time boat owner having difficulty with my 2002 Reinell with a 5.0 liter Volvo Penta throttle body injected engine. On the second trip out the engine would crank but not fire. I found the fuel pump to not be turning on. After reading some forums on this site I was able to do some diagnosis.
There is no power to the fuel pump while cranking. After locating the fuel pump relay I jumped terminal 30 and 87. This made the high pressure fuel pump run. I swapped the relay but that had the same results.
I believe the pump is good, but I have a power supply issue. My next step is to open the wiring harness to look for a bad connection or diode. Am I on the right track or not?
The boat has only 70 hours I have a hard time condemning a $800 fuel pump with out exhausting all options.

Thanks for your input.

LB12

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta no power to fuel pump

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb inlet and get a glass jar or a container, have someone crank the engine for you and see if it's spitting fuel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good afternoon,

I'm a first time boat owner having difficulty with my 2002 Reinell with a 5.0 liter Volvo Penta throttle body injected engine. On the second trip out the engine would crank but not fire. I found the fuel pump to not be turning on. After reading some forums on this site I was able to do some diagnosis.
There is no power to the fuel pump while cranking. After locating the fuel pump relay I jumped terminal 30 and 87. This made the high pressure fuel pump run. I swapped the relay but that had the same results.
I believe the pump is good, but I have a power supply issue. My next step is to open the wiring harness to look for a bad connection or diode. Am I on the right track or not?
The boat has only 70 hours I have a hard time condemning a $800 fuel pump with out exhausting all options.

Thanks for your input.

When you jumped the 30 and 87, only the high pressure pump ran? Not the low pressure? If you don't have the low pressure pump running, you won't have gas for the high pressure pump.

Have you checked for spark? maybe the lanyard safety tether isn't in place? If the ECM doesn't see spark, it will not allow the fuel pumps to start running.

egravink

Recruit

I have been having similar issues on my LP solenoid only. When it is cold, I only get about 2-3 volts between pin 86 and ground (or between pin 86 and 85). In order to start, I jumper pins 30 & 87. Runs great (although I need to remove jumper to get engine to stop). Oddly enough, once outside air temp is above about 80-85*, the 12 volts is back. Even we run the boat for 30 minutes and it's still cold outside, still low voltage. Once the outside temp is up, I can then pull the jumper and put the solenoid back in and it works great the remainder of the day (even if boat sits for several hours and cools down completely). Next morning, same thing. I've tried swapping solenoids and even installing new solenoid; however, if voltage is low, it won't pull it.

I suspect I have a loose wire/bad connection between the solenoid connector and the ECA, or perhaps a problem in the ECA. Was hoping someone has seen this odd scenario or has some insight.

Don S

Not sure what you have egravink, but Volvo does not use solenoids, and they only use a single relay to operate both pumps at the same time.

egravink

Recruit

Not sure what you have egravink, but Volvo does not use solenoids, and they only use a single relay to operate both pumps at the same time.

I have the 5.0GI. directly in front of the injector body are two identical relays. The one on the left (when looking towards the front of the engine from the back seat) is the problem. I assumed that the "left" one was for LP and the "right" one was for HP. I don't have an electrical diagram for this engine, so I couldn't tell what they were really for, so I guessed. Anyway, if I jumper 30-87 on the "right" relay, I can hear pumps also, but I can not see fuel spraying into the injector body when cranking like I can when I jumper 30-87 on the "left" relay. Unless I jumper 30-87 on the "left" relay, boat won't start(until it gets hot out). Without a diagram, I have just been in there with my volt meter and trying to logically figure out how things worked on this engine, but this is all I have come up with so far.

Don S

The other is the starter relay if I had to guess. If you have problems, start a new thread of your own and post the full model number or serial number of your engine. 5.0Gi means little by itself.

egravink

Recruit

The other is the starter relay if I had to guess. If you have problems, start a new thread of your own and post the full model number or serial number of your engine. 5.0Gi means little by itself.

Thank you. I found a wiring diagram online. The relay on the left (#14 on diagram) is the Ignition/Fuel relay. The one on the right (#1 on diagram) is the Fuel Pumps relay. This should now help immensely in tracking down the voltage drop issue.

Driver20

Recruit

I feel like a fool, but need to share my experience.
Short answer is the lanyard had pulled off the kill switch but was still connected. Looking at it, it appeared to be in place but in fact it wasn't depressing the kill switch.

So my lesson was learned. Keep it simple

Thank you all for your replies.