2001 Larson; Volvo Penta 4.3 GL; Steering hard to Right under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbevil

Recruit
I have a problem that has stumped the boat service people in Austin. I have a 2001 Larson with a 4.3 PEFS GL engine. When putting the boat under load the steering is very hard to the right side; easy to the left. On plane the steering is easy in any direction. When you are pulling a tube and the boat does not get on plane, then you have to muscle the steering wheel to get it turn to the right. We have replaced the power steering pump, high pressure hose, belt and steering cylinder. Our mechanic says he has inspected the cable and can't find it binding. Question 1) what would happen if I removed the power steering belt and ran without power steering, seems to me if the problem is in the cylinder it would still occur; 2) if it was in the cylinder could it have been installed incorrectly? 3) could a bent skeg be the problem maker (not bent according to the prop shop), and finally could switching to a 4 blade prop fix the problem? The outdrive is a DSX so it does not have an adjustment tab.:confused:

Cshayes8

Recruit
I have a problem that has stumped the boat service people in Austin. I have a 2001 Larson with a 4.3 PEFS GL engine. When putting the boat under load the steering is very hard to the right side; easy to the left. On plane the steering is easy in any direction. When you are pulling a tube and the boat does not get on plane, then you have to muscle the steering wheel to get it turn to the right. We have replaced the power steering pump, high pressure hose, belt and steering cylinder. Our mechanic says he has inspected the cable and can't find it binding. Question 1) what would happen if I removed the power steering belt and ran without power steering, seems to me if the problem is in the cylinder it would still occur; 2) if it was in the cylinder could it have been installed incorrectly? 3) could a bent skeg be the problem maker (not bent according to the prop shop), and finally could switching to a 4 blade prop fix the problem? The outdrive is a DSX so it does not have an adjustment tab.:confused:
We are having the same issue. What was your solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.