Volvo Penta 130 choking under throttle

S3xyone

Cadet
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this site and to boating in general. I recently bought a '76 Volvo Penta 130 I/O. It had trouble idling, I changed the fuel filter, now it idles great. But now when I try to give it throttle it chokes it self out and stalls. Can anyone tell me where the next step to look would be? Also does anyone have or know of a place where I can get parts for this motor? Any information would be greatful

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta 130 choking under throttle

Volvo Penta AQ130 B20 engine is obsolete,finding parts will be very difficult.
Your engine needs good tune-up ,to start with.
What carburetors you have ?
Cleaning carburetors,will be good start.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Idle speed and mixture adjustment as well as accelerator pump adjustment instructions are in the manual. Unless you're sure the carburetors have been recently cleaned and gaskets replaced, you really should perform that maintenance. Any varnish or sludge in the passages will hamper performance, especially under acceleration.

Stock carburetors are Solex 44PA1's with aftermarket rebuild kits readily available here on iboats Volvo-Penta Carburetor Repair Kits - iboats and on ebay.

By the way, welcome to the forum. There are quite a few of us here with these older motors and have them running well with few problems.

Safooma

Cadet

Yep, I had very similar issues with my dual Solex carbs and rebuilding them and then setting them up per the manual fixed the problem.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Diesel1960 has a valid point about a tune-up. We sometimes jump to conclusions about a carb or some other single component and forget that it's about everything working together.

S3xyone

Cadet

Thank you all for your replies and help. We got the problem solved. Turned out it was a cracked fuel line to the fuel filter.