Replacing u-joint bellows on volvo 280 and have a few questions

Safooma

Cadet
Hello,

Boat in question is a 77 bowrider with a Volvo Penta AQ130D(280 drive).

Used the boat on a week long family vacation and it worked great(I know, weird huh?).

Anyway, I was giving it a good cleaning when I got home and noticed that the u-joint bellows has a small tear in it--maybe an inch long. This means I get to pull the upper drive and change the bellows.

On to my questions:

The actual bellows kit--the sierra one is about half of much as the volvo one. Has anyone used the Sierra one? Is the Volvo one that much better?

Also, I had noticed some water making its way into the bilge over the course of the day--and notably worse when underway. Could this be where the water is coming from?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing u-joint bellows on volvo 280 and have a few questions

I think you're about to find you have more problems than just a bellows, especially if you have water getting into the boat and it's salt water.

Safooma

Cadet

Nah, only fresh water and even then very rarely(we only take the boat out a few times a year and only in fresh water). I know that the water leaking issue could also be a transom seal--I was just wondering if it was even possible for water to get into the boat via this bellows. yes, I am going to change the bellows anyway.

any input on volvo vs sierra?

Thanks

Don S

I know that the water leaking issue could also be a transom seal--

No, it's not a transom seal problem, you've been reading too many Mercruser threads. It's water running through the bearing/s in the flywheel cover (what the bellows hooks too). water (aka RUST) and bearings do not get along well. Water also gets in the ujoints. And you have milky gear lube as well that needs changed since the seal in the drive is not designed to keep water out.

Safooma

Cadet

I check the oil in the drive after every outing and so far it has never been milky--changed it last year and it was fine then too. Hopefully I caught the issue soon enough, before it created a problem with the bearing/u-joint.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that the bellows can indeed let water into the bilge if faulty. Is there any way to tell if the bearings are bad, other than visual inspection?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had to do this to my boat. it destroyed the drive shaft bearing, there not expensive. change the seal since you have to remove it to get to the bearing. i also changed the ujoints since i had it apart not expensive and you can get them at auto parts store. I got ones with grease zirks so i can service them when i change the bellows. As far as the bellows goes i went with volvo penta the clamps dont have the slots that go all the way through so it wont chew into the rubber. Plus i heard the rubber is better quality. While you have the gear box off look at the water inlet pipe (rubber hose attaches to this and make sure it isnt corroded if you do take it off watch how the screw to clamp it goes, if wrong it will chew into the new bellows. Jd (sorry its ran together for some reason when i hit enter to have it drop a line or 2 it does nothing)

Safooma

Cadet

Don, I was looking at the instuctions/picture you posted in the other thread: http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...tdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

Is there more than one bolt in the helmet? I only see one hex bolt right in the middle, but the diagrams refers to bolts and pins?
Also, other than to inspect the bearings/gears, why would I need to remove the upper gear box to change the bellows. The diagram makes it look like once you have the helmet up and out of the way that you could access and remove the clamps holding the bellows to the gearbox. I am guessing that that I am missing/over-simplifying something here but thought it was worth asking about. And yes, I am an huge moron ;-)

Don S

Is there more than one bolt in the helmet? I only see one hex bolt right in the middle, but the diagrams refers to bolts and pins?

There 3 different styles. You have a single bolt.

Also, other than to inspect the bearings/gears, why would I need to remove the upper gear box to change the bellows.

The ujoint shaft goes through the bellows into the flywheel cover. That is what connects the engine to the drive.

Safooma

Cadet

Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully everything will make more sense as I get into it.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

There are quite a few avenues for water leaks on this engine. Carefully check all of the pressurized cooling lines on the engine, especially the seals on the supply lines on the exhaust manifold and the oil cooler fittings.

If it's because of a soft transom or leaky fitting on a penetration below the water line, well, you'll have the opportunity to make many future decisions.

Don S

There are quite a few avenues for water leaks on this engine. Carefully check all of the pressurized cooling lines on the engine, especially the seals on the supply lines on the exhaust manifold and the oil cooler fittings.

If it's because of a soft transom or leaky fitting on a penetration below the water line, well, you'll have the opportunity to make many future decisions.

I think the reason he is changing the bellows was explained in his original post.

Anyway, I was giving it a good cleaning when I got home and noticed that the u-joint bellows has a small tear in it--maybe an inch long. This means I get to pull the upper drive and change the bellows.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

No argument about the need for a bellows change and other inspections. Just pointing out that the water in the bilge could be from multiple sources. I chased cooling system leaks on my AQ130D for quite some time.

Safooma

Cadet

OK, got the upper gear box off, however, the back half of the bellows is still attached to the boat--I had assumed that it would be hooked to the back of the u-joint assembly, but it looks like it is attached to the rear of the engine. How do I get this off?

And yes, the oil sitting in the intermediate housing was indeed milky.

Thanks

Don S

but it looks like it is attached to the rear of the engine. How do I get this off?

Look at it and THINK! If you can't figure that out, then you shouldn't be doing this job to begin with.

Safooma

Cadet

Why the hostility? I have never done this before and don't want to do something wrong and make things worse. I apologize for coming on to a help forum and asking for help. WTF was I thinking?

Don S

Remove hose clamp, then remove the bellows.

Safooma

Cadet

Thanks, Once I cut the bellows off I was able to get back in there and see. I really do appreciate your help--I'm just a bit nervous having never done this before.

Don S

You "REALLY" need to get the OEM bellows. They come with instructions. Especially clamp locations which is very important.

Safooma

Cadet

I did get the OEM volvo bellows kit, from the dealer, as well as all of the seals you recommended changing. However, the bellows did not come with instructions--Just a blue box with two clamps and a bellows. What do need to know about where to install the clamps?

Don S

Here is the clamp positions for your bellows.

Hose clamp position.jpg