Volvo Penta 270 exhaust filling with water

jmwill73

Cadet
I have a 1985 Bayliner w/Volvo Penta 270. Every time I turn it off while in the water, the exhaust fills with water and won't allow engine to start. And when I'm running at a "no wake" speed and try to increase speed after no wake zone, the engine bogs out and almost stalls. After a pull the boat from the water and the water drains out of exhaust, it fires right up. Any suggestions? Please help. I'm desperate.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 270 exhaust filling with water

I have a 1985 Bayliner w/Volvo Penta 270. Every time I turn it off while in the water, the exhaust fills with water and won't allow engine to start. And when I'm running at a "no wake" speed and try to increase speed after no wake zone, the engine bogs out and almost stalls. After a pull the boat from the water and the water drains out of exhaust, it fires right up. Any suggestions? Please help. I'm desperate.

Are you referring to the exhaust manifolds? If that is happening, then you need some elbow extensions to prevent that.

If you are referring to water getting into the Y pipe, that's completely normal and allways fill to the waterline. The exhaust is wide open to the water.
If that is the case, check the timing with a timing light. Bet it's way out.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

How could it fill with water over the risers? If the flappers are in place that helps but won't stop it completly. Are you sitting really low in the water? To much gear onboard? Wet hull making her sit low?,how about some pic's of her in the water to see wahere you are at. And mabe a few of the motor area in refrence to the waterline.
Grub

jmwill73

Cadet

Are you referring to the exhaust manifolds? If that is happening, then you need some elbow extensions to prevent that.

If you are referring to water getting into the Y pipe, that's completely normal and allways fill to the waterline. The exhaust is wide open to the water.
If that is the case, check the timing with a timing light. Bet it's way out.

Thank you for responding. I'm not sure what is filling with water. I just know that if it is sitting in the water, it won't start. Or if it is idling, it bogs out; and I have to play with the throttle to get it moving at a normal speed. Once the water drains, it starts right up with no problem. It runs about 30 mph wide open. I'm thinking it should run faster than that. But then again, it is a 1985. I'll check the timing if you think that will help. I guess I figured it would have a problem starting regardless if it was in the water or not if it was the timing. I'm still fairly new at boat ownership. Still learning.

jmwill73

Cadet

How could it fill with water over the risers? If the flappers are in place that helps but won't stop it completly. Are you sitting really low in the water? To much gear onboard? Wet hull making her sit low?,how about some pic's of her in the water to see wahere you are at. And mabe a few of the motor area in refrence to the waterline.
Grub

I don't have an pics. Sorry. I'm afraid to put it back in the water until I correct this problem. It's embarassing to get towed back to the dock every time I take it out. I guess I explained it wrong. Sorry. I think what I meant to say was that because of the water in the exhaust, the boat won't start once it is turned off while in the water, and it bogs down after idling for a while.

Don S

I don't have an pics. Sorry. I'm afraid to put it back in the water until I correct this problem. It's embarassing to get towed back to the dock every time I take it out. I guess I explained it wrong. Sorry. I think what I meant to say was that because of the water in the exhaust, the boat won't start once it is turned off while in the water, and it bogs down after idling for a while.

Like I said, set your timing with a light.

jmwill73

Cadet

Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thank you, again.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I see now. Timing,next on my list would be fuel/carb issue,and a good compression check. No compression= no suction to draw fuel in properly,or push exhaust out.
Grub

Maclin

Admiral

Did this just start happening?

Does the engine turn when you try to start in the water but just turn slowly? What I am aming at is battery condition and integrity of all cable connections.

Also what was last known good tuneup and what all was done.

Regarding the 30mph performance, what engine and boat combo are you running? Some can go 30+ and some can't :)

Maclin

Admiral

BTW I am betting on the Don S card with Timing and in general need of a good tuneup. Then compression check if that is not the cause.

Don S

One reason I say timing, is that a lot of DIYers don't have timing lights, and really not experienced in what to listen for when setting timing by ear. So they set the timing where the engine sounds the smoothest and runs the fastest. If you put the timing light on it, it's so far off you probably can't even see the mark on the dampner. Then when put in the water, that little bit of back pressure prevents it from even firing.

And this without even knowing what kind of engine is in it. Only that it has a 270 outdrive.

jmwill73

Cadet

One reason I say timing, is that a lot of DIYers don't have timing lights, and really not experienced in what to listen for when setting timing by ear. So they set the timing where the engine sounds the smoothest and runs the fastest. If you put the timing light on it, it's so far off you probably can't even see the mark on the dampner. Then when put in the water, that little bit of back pressure prevents it from even firing.

And this without even knowing what kind of engine is in it. Only that it has a 270 outdrive.

I checked the timing. Specs called for 6 degrees BTDC and it read 10 degrees BTDC with the timing light. I set it back to 6 degrees BTDC. I hope that makes a difference.

BTW - it's a Volvo Penta 2.1 Liter SOHC.

Once the river clears up, I'm going to take it out again. Had a bit of flash flooding in the last couple of days that raised and muddied the river.

Fair Weather

Cadet

I am having the same dam problem with my 79 2.1 and 280, it runs great by ear, havent tried a timing light will do this week. the engine runs great in my drive way but when on the lake I can only start it once if I try to restart it on the lake I can hear water being sucked up in to the valves and the engine is full of water, my 71 aq130 and 270 never had this problem and the 270 had a flapper on the exugast, the 280 just has a big oval opening that sure looks cool! Is there soposed to be a flapper on the 280 somewere?

jmwill73

Cadet

As it turns out, the spark plug firing order was all wrong. Whoever had the boat before me had all but the No. 1 wire wrong. It's supposed to be 1-3-4-2, and they had it 1-4-2-3. I didn't even think to check that, but when I changed the wires, I noticed there was something wrong. So I changed it back, and bang. Everything worked fine, with the exception of the ignition problems that I created myself and are explained in another thread.

Nebfarmer

Seaman Apprentice

As it turns out, the spark plug firing order was all wrong. Whoever had the boat before me had all but the No. 1 wire wrong. It's supposed to be 1-3-4-2, and they had it 1-4-2-3. I didn't even think to check that, but when I changed the wires, I noticed there was something wrong. So I changed it back, and bang. Everything worked fine, with the exception of the ignition problems that I created myself and are explained in another thread.

And you say it ran that way?

jmwill73

Cadet

Sure Did. Not Well, Obviously, But It Ran.