Volvo Penta GL-B Raw water pump

LB12

Recruit
I have a 2003 Larson with the VP GL-B (4012085309) that I was having some dripping from the raw water/sea water pump. So I took off the impeller housing and first thing I noticed was that there was no sealing ring. Second thing that has me confused is that the bearing housing wasn't part of the pulley, as in not attached to the pump itself, it slid right off after I had pulled the impeller housing.

I have no slack in the shaft coming out and the bearing feels good and smooth. But everything I have seen for sea water pumpls for my boat show the bearing housing as actually part of the water pump. I'm a little concerned and looking for some pointers here.

Is this normal? I will take a picture here in a bit and post it.

Attachments

• impeller-1.jpg
    impeller-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • impeller-2.jpg
    impeller-2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta GL-B Raw water pump

What you have is normal, however the bearing housing should be an interference fit on the bearing. I suggest you remove the part of the pump that is attached to the harmonic balancer, 3 Allen cap bolts 8mm or 5/16" Allen key. Replace the bearing and the seal that is in the housing and remount it on the shaft.
As the bearing is no longer an interference fit in the housing, you will have to make a choice of either a new pump (expensive) or pressing in a new bearing using a thread lock type of compound. On mine I used a centre punch to create a raised surface for the bearing to grip in the housing along with thread lock. Your choice.

LB12

Recruit

So the bearing is supposed to be almost a press fit on that shaft?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bearing is BOTH a press fit on the shaft and into the housing.

LB12

Recruit

The bearing is BOTH a press fit on the shaft and into the housing.

Thanks for the info dypcdiver, I got the bearing to grip a tigheter with a punches around to raise the surface and bearing locktite and everything is all good now.