Timing mark volvo penta 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

claps

Cadet
Hello,

It's my first post, sorry for my English, i'm french...

I have a probleme with the timing mark of my volvo penta 3.0 GSMBY, it is broken, not in totality but i'can't read anything so i don't no where is the 0 ? :grumpy:

i'm looking for a picture of this timing mark or drawing, diagram...what you want ;)

Please help me, and again sorry for my English :facepalm:

bye

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Timing mark volvo penta 3.0

I don't know if this is like your timing mark. If not, post a picture of yours and we can see if we can show you where it's at on yours.

attachment.php

Also when setting the timing, after adjusting it and tightening the distributor, remove the timing tool BEFORE shutting the engine off.

Volvo has it wrong in the manual. http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...drives/volvo-est-timing-procedure-271407.html

claps

Cadet

Thanks a lot, i think it's the good :joyous:

I post a picture of mine today to Watch it.

Thanks again.

claps

Cadet

It's my timing mark :grumpy:

But now with your help it's possible for me set timing

thanks

timing mark.jpg

Don S

:jaw:

Don S

It's on the wrong side of the engine, the pulley is so rusty you won't have a belt more than an hour (if that long) and it amazes me the timing cover and oil pan don't leak.

claps

Cadet

Hello

an explication, the water pump above leaked ( change since) but too late...so pulley and timing mark is very rusty, the cover is ok and don't leak, i think i must change it with the pulley but it's not easy to do...:blue:

Thank for your help

relay1234567

Recruit
There are a lot of images of different Volvo Penta timing markers on the internet, but most aren't clearly labeled for their specific engine.

The image below is specifically from my 2002 Volvo Penta 3.0 GSP-C. The plate was very rusted, so I used a steel brush to clean it up and then sprayed silver paint to bring out the numbers.

I don't have the shunt to set the timing, so I rigged my own as shown below.

Pins numbered left to right - 1-4.
Pin 1 - Don't use
Pin 2 - Be very careful here! I used a 12" wire with an insulated connector on one end and an alligator clip on the other.
Pin 3 & 4 Makeshift jumper using standard female spade quick disconnect. I used a screw to get a good hold on it for easy on & off.

Fun Times

Staff member
There are a lot of images of different Volvo Penta timing markers on the internet, but most aren't clearly labeled for their specific engine.

The image below is specifically from my 2002 Volvo Penta 3.0 GSP-C. The plate was very rusted, so I used a steel brush to clean it up and then sprayed silver paint to bring out the numbers.

I don't have the shunt to set the timing, so I rigged my own as shown below.

Pins numbered left to right - 1-4.
Pin 1 - Don't use
Pin 2 - Be very careful here! I used a 12" wire with an insulated connector on one end and an alligator clip on the other.
Pin 3 & 4 Makeshift jumper using standard female spade quick disconnect. I used a screw to get a good hold on it for easy on & off.

Hi there relay1234567, welcome to iboats!:)

Thanks for taking the time to help add additional information of how to go about creating your own style shunt to help others out...Unfortunately your images didn't turn-out probably due to being a new member as you may not have enough post count numbers to post photos just yet...But the effort is still most appreciated.:encouragement:

Just for future reference though, the hosts of iboats prefers any topic older than 90 days remain an archive all tucked away under many pages of tech type info... That is unless you happen to be the original poster of each topic. Please try to take note of the first and last dates of each topic you tend to come across before any general response is desired by you.

For additional information regarding iboats preference on older topics, please see the "Help Tip" at the top of this Volvo Penta engine technical sub-forum plus iboats Forum Rules and Guidelines sticky section.

Thank you & Happy Boating!!
iboats Moderator Team

Status
Not open for further replies.