5.7 GSI Volvo Penta fuel pump- SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

markot

Recruit
We just put our 2001 268 Vista back in the water and it is being fuel starved. Save a lot of money and and fix your own fuel pump!!! The fuel injection pump unit on our boat has the spin-on filter, a low pressure pump, a resevoir, and a high pressure pump. Last year the high pressure pump was whinning because it was being fuel starved. You can remove the high pressure pump by removing a single screw, disconnect output hose, and unplug wire. Inside the bottom end is where it draws in fuel. The tiny white fine mesh screen was clogged. I flushed it with a spray can of contact cleaner and the problem was an instant fix.
This year I was having the engine run fine, then stall out. I checked high pressure pump and it wasn't clogged. I replaced main filter and it ran fine for about 30 minutes. Same problem. I pulled the whole fuel pump / filter assemlby off and took home. No water, and no high pressure pump clog. Well- the low pressure pump had a little flap of black paint that had planted itself right on the low pressure pump intake screen and was acting like, well, a flapper valve. The paint came from the inside of the filter housing and resevoir once I took a closer look. The inside of the unit was, I guess, painted at the factory along with the outside of the housing and it took til now to flake away- maybe ethanol related? Anyway, I understand these units run about $700 and I would have thrown that money away for no reason! I hope this helps someone with the same problem- its not a difficult job- just be careful to catch gas.

Thanks

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 5.7 GSI Volvo Penta fuel pump- SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

Thanks for posting this. I have a fuel starvation issue, and I suspect this
may be part (if not all of my problem).

FixerKid

Recruit

markot,

thanks for that post! Just spent the whole weekend dealing with same issue (squealing fuel pump on 2001 Volvo Penta 5.0Gi. Disassemble the whole thing, cleaned all the parts, lubricated the o-ring to get it all to slide back together, remounted it, connected a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil to the intake side and filled it, let it soak overnight, let it pump out the oil into a container (sounded smooth and quiet while pumping the oil out), re-connect to main fuel line from the fuel tank in the boat, pumped fuel into a container via the two carburetor lines (again it sounded nice a smooth and quiet while pumping), then when i connected back to the carb and started the engine, it ran good for about 15 seconds and started squealing again and the engine died. I was planning to buy a new high pressure pump today and bring it back to Maine this coming weekend to replace the high pressure pump. Now, after reading your post, i am wondering if i missed something - i didn't see any screen and the input side of either pump. The high pressure pump is $225 on line or the entire assemble is $620. Any thoughts on what else to check before replacing the pump would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try searching. I think there has been a lot of information already posted here about the paint flaking issue. Glad you had an easy fix.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the Thread I was thinking of.

markot

Recruit

When my high pressure pump was noisy and I pulled it apart, when I looked in the suction end I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Once I flushed it with contact cleaner, I realized it wasn't an obvious screen but an ultra fine screen or membrane that turned from black to white as I flushed it. The low pressure pump was the same and as soon as they were clean the whine stopped. I had to clean the one pump a second time, all paint flake debris which all came after the filter. Once cleaned out its been fine.